Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

the new viv's

Discussion in 'Terrariums, Paludariums and Vivariums' started by Ozymandias, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Metaframe junky

Student
    well been going a little re-arranging after i upgrades one of my vivs from this

[​IMG]

which i had naglected. to a 20 gallon long i converted

[​IMG]

i'm pretty happy with it and once the plants grow in should look pretty good.

the other tank i've been messing around with finally settled on something that was inspired by mellowvision's 5.5 gallon paludarium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the main substrate will be a mix of fluorite and some bonsai soil type stuff that has really good drainage. using it mainly because i can incorporate some type of water fall thing that will disappear into the ground. still working out some of the details on that but should be fun.

2. froglover007

froglover007 Obsessed 13-year-old

That is really cool! :D

3. mellowvision

mellowvision Seafood Lover

very cool. ;)

4. PaulJ69

PaulJ69 CP addict

Petsmart
    looks great, cant wait for the palud to be complete

5. Vicious_Fish

Vicious_Fish Moderator
    Staff Member

Cosmonaut
    They look good. I like that you flipped the 20 gallon like that.

6. cam191919

cam191919 AC Members

looks great!

7. Ozymandias

Student
    thanks every one. not sure i would call it a paludarium because there wont be any open space with water (there there will be quite a bit of water though). if i had i bigger tank i would have defiantly had some type of open pond area and i might do that if i ever nab a bigger tank. i actually at first left a little strip open for water in the front but i decided i would like more room for plants and there wants really enough room for me to add any thing aquatic in front. so i moved it up you can sort of tell by the stip of black silicone where i added more egg crate. i also need to find out how well the water feture is going to work too, im using Loc-lines so that might let me have a little bit more control of where thay go.

mellowvision on you paludarium how do you like the loc-lines you used? and how flexible are thay?

8. Ozymandias

Student
    thanks i got the idea and instruction on how to do this from here. mine isn't nearly as well done but presentable. that probably has to do with using an old tank with parts of the trim broken and rushing some what. no animals in there but as some point there will be just not sure what. i work in a pet store that has a huge selection of geckos so i have quite a few options there.

9. Vicious_Fish

Vicious_Fish Moderator
    Staff Member

Cosmonaut
    You should get a small diurnal gecko species for that tank. Maybe a pair Gold Dust Day Geckos or some type of Lygodactylus species.

10. Ozymandias

Student
    well i like there looks but i think i'm going to hold off and wait for the plants to get established first. the last geck i had was living in my dorm for a good month before i caught him. he later disappeared into my my house never to be seen again (i think he got out side).

11. mellowvision

I love the loc line fittings, they hold their form where you put them, and are pretty easy to work with. I especially like the inline spray nozzles.

12. Ozymandias

Student
    good to know. i orderd some parts and will see how thay work out. did you have any problems connecting them to the pump? i relised i ordered these but not thought to how thay would connect to every thing.

13. mellowvision

I hacked it together. there is a threaded locline part with a valve, I used this to connect the locline end, and then stuffed 1/2" eheim hose in the threaded end, which fits tightly over the pump return... it's pretty simple and works well, but it's ugly.

14. Ozymandias

Student
    lol well i'm glad you don't really see that part. now i just have to wait for the stuff to get here (should be tomorrow).

15. Ozymandias

Student
    well got them and i think i should have gotten a size smaller but ill see what i can do with what i have.

16. mellowvision

did you get the 1/2" ones? those work great... I think the 1/4" ones would be too small for good flow

17. Ozymandias

Student
    got the 1/2" ones but thay look so big in the viv but i made it work with a but of plumber epoxy that is. here are some pictures on what i did

first i thought silicone would work well but it ended up being to messy and i was way to impatient.
    [​IMG]

so i pulled out the plumber epoxy and that was much easier to deal with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is the current configuration i have it all in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ozymandias

Student
    so this is what i do during the middle of night when i'm board. built this little cup to go in where i the pump is and fill in the giant hole and still be able to get to the pump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Ozymandias

Student
    right so been working on this tank off and on for the last few days , i got a two pecies of glass cut to fit the top f the tank (where the screens are because i've always had a problem with to much evaporation and not enough humidity in this tank. the thing is with both in i din't have anought air muvment so i'm going to try it with one fece of glass in and one not.

[​IMG]

next i started planting some stuff from one of my aquariums and suff stuff i've had waiting to be put in this tank. up on the left is Eriocaulon cinereum have it there for time big and to see how big it ends up growing. down below on the ground i have some HC "Hemianthus Callitrichoides" and Peperomia angulata. then above that is an anubais that i got from work that was grown emersed so should do well in this tank. and finally to the right is UG "Utricularia Graminifolia" and a Selaginella sp. going to lett them grow in while i figure out what else to put in there plant suggestions welcome.

[​IMG]

also i started using some aqua soil from a tank i'm going to be breaking down soon so will see how that works out.

finally here are both my tank side buy side

[​IMG]

20. mellowvision