Thinking of switching from XP to Linux...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
3onspeed said:
well, you see. i do like Linux, but if you are just gonna use it for that kind of stuff, like what you said, the photo shop thing and crap, stick with a PC. Linux is best for programmers and servers (computer servers, to clarify) and yeah
What are you talking about? He is using a PC! :) I disagree that Linux is best for "programmers and servers" and slipknottin is proving that now. :)

Peace...

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
dougall said:
I concur with the Enlightenment recommendation but E16 might be what I would recommend over E17. I'm playing with E17 now, and it's absolutely beautiful, but a number of things don't work they way one would intuitively expect, which is understandable since it's still in its infancy.

E16 is still in relatively early development stages but has been "in the wild" for much longer and is a bit more functional. Screenshots can also be seen here.

Peace...

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
i used automatix to install a bunch of different programs including gdesklets. I have to upgrade to dapper first, then ill play with them. Im tempted to install XGL/Compiz. heh

IMO, had someone installed this OS for someone, got everything working correctly, etc. Then that person would have no trouble using it, i find most things to be pretty obvious.

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
slipknottin said:
IMO, had someone installed this OS for someone, got everything working correctly, etc. Then that person would have no trouble using it, i find most things to be pretty obvious.
Be sure to thank the Ubuntu crew for that. Ease of use is one of the reasons Ubuntu is so popular. :)

EDIT: By the way, are you reading the forum using Firefox on Linux? :)

Peace...

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
tomdkat said:
Be sure to thank the Ubuntu crew for that. Ease of use is one of the reasons Ubuntu is so popular. :)
Oh I will, as soon as i finish getting everything setup. It has been pretty easy thus far, Im quite impressed.

EDIT: By the way, are you reading the forum using Firefox on Linux? :)
Yea I am. Pretty sweet.

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
slipknottin said:
Oh I will, as soon as i finish getting everything setup. It has been pretty easy thus far, Im quite impressed.
I don't know if Ubuntu comes with XScreensaver or not. If it doesn't, I would see about installing it since XScreensaver comes with a ton of great screen savers. :)

Yea I am. Pretty sweet.
Sweet. :)

Peace...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store