Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

What is this stuff?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Only (FO) / Fish Only With Live Rock (' started by StacieH, Apr 24, 2011.

1. StacieH

StacieH AC Members

Mar 18, 2012
    I am relatively new to saltwater aquariums. I've had my tank (75g) up and running for 2 months now. Everything has been great; tank cycled like a charm, and I've got about 55 lbs of live rock.

So far I've got one damsel, 3 shrimp (1 blood shrimp, 2 cleaners), 4 astrela (sp?) snails, 14 narcissus snails, and 3 hermit crabs.

Lately, I've had a lot of this strange, hairy-blob looking stuff popping up on my sand. At first I thought it was waste from the narcissus snails. But I clean it up, and it comes back. Here is a picture: 2011-04-24 18.18.40.jpg

Any idea of what it may be, and WHY it's popping up? The last time I checked the water the parameters were perfect:

pH: 8.0
    ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrates: 20
    temp: between 78-79 degrees
    salinity was 1.025

2. SubRosa

SubRosa AC Members

Jun 21, 2013
    cyanobacteria

3. StacieH

StacieH AC Members

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks. Looks like a larger water change is in order to get the nitrates below 20. And I think I'll add another powerhead to the mix to catch that corner of the tank. It is mostly in one area.

4. Sawt

Sawt AC Members

Jun 24, 2011
    word to the wise..get rid of the damsel when you start to think about stocking fish..I had one..they really(in my case) are cheap for a reason..my domino caused havok,killed a purple fire fish,as soon as I took it out, the whole tank changed..the pecking order is much easier.