Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

What on earth is this?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Illness and Disease' started by mrb1324, Mar 15, 2012.

1. mrb1324

mrb1324 AC Members

Mar 18, 2012
    My bristlenose just started to get this yesterday morning and now it's freaking horrible. I've done 2 water changes and added Melafix after the second today. Any ideas on what it is, what caused it, and if there is anything else I can do?

Attached Files:

2. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

Apr 25, 2015
    Some things that might help us help you

tank size
    filtration
    cleaning scheduled
    tank stock
    water test readings.

looks like it might be heater burn but its hard to see in that pic..could you try for a clear shot?

3. mrb1324

mrb1324 AC Members

Mar 18, 2012
    Tank- 29gallon
    Filtration- Marineland Penguin 150, Top Fin 10
    Weekly 25% water change and gravel vac
    I know these fish are schooling fish. Getting around to more of them: 2 black skirts, 3 pristella tetra, 1 zebra danio, and 1 bristlenose
    ammonia, nitrite, chlorine: 0ppm nitrate 10ppm PH 7.2 hard water

I took multiple pictures and these were the best I could get. I'll see if I can get better ones tomorrow. In regards to my tank stock, none of the other fish bother the bristlenose at all so I don't think it's from nipping. I might add that this started off as a "blood bubble" I guess on the other side of the tail. Another smaller one was developing right beside it. In a matter of 30 or so hours, it looked like this.

That said, this is at my apartment at school and I am at home right now. I'm dreading walking back in there tomorrow...hopefully I see some improvement..

4. Jannika

Jannika MTS Survivor

Apr 28, 2013
    Hard to tell for sure, but if it just appeared suddenly it's possibly a heater burn. For now just keep an eye on it and make sure the water stays very clean to avoid infection.

5. mrb1324

mrb1324 AC Members

Mar 18, 2012
    Well I went back to check on her today. Based on what she looked like yesterday, I was prepared for the worst and was thinking I'd have to put her down. However, when I walked in, she was out on the side of the glass and looked soooo much better. The picture is a bit blurry but you can definitely see the improvement. She still has a couple red spots and the scales around her tail are a bit raised and weird looking, but she looks pretty good. Did another water change and added a half dose of Melafix. Hopefully it looks even better tomorrow.

Attached Files: