Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

What type of fish is Brian?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by ezziecat, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ezziecat

ezziecat AC Members

Jun 1, 2014
    Hello all :) This is my first day on AC and I've been getting lots of help, thank you. I'm hoping someone can help some more by telling me whether I have a distinct breed of fish here, or if he's some kind of cross/mutant/mutt etc.

His name's Brian >.< Sorry for the quality of the pics - the first shows the reason I'm asking: He looks like a fantail, and all of the fins apart from the tailfin seem to comply: nice tall dorsal, two side fins, two belly fins, two fins under the bum, but then... one tailfin :/ it's not split in two like a fantail, there's just one bit (and it droops at the top!). Pic two is to give you a better idea of his (or her) actual shape, which I also think matches my other jeuvenile fantails.

DSC02385.JPG DSC02384.JPG

I mentioned this in another post, but it wasn't really the right place and was just a sidenote to the post, so I'm hoping that asking here will get me (and Brian!) some answers. Thanks in advance!

So what do you think?

Erika :)

2. cicrush13

cicrush13 AC Members

Sales
    May 5, 2015
    In my experience with deformed fins like this, it is usually caused by poor water quality during the first few months of life. It will not harm the fish, but just not aesthetically pleasing.

3. ezziecat

ezziecat AC Members

Jun 1, 2014
    Aw, poor Brian! I hope that isn't the case :( He's been like this since we inherited him. Our other fantails are fine in case you were worried. We have high nitrates at the mo but I'm sorting that starting tomorrow :) I was hoping it was just that I'd discovered a type of fish I didn't know about, but now I know he's just special ;)

4. moonstream

moonstream AC Members

highschool
    May 7, 2015
    I have heard of lots of deep-bodied fantails with single tails- I think they're called "nymphs" or something like that. because of his seemingly elongated body, I'd guess that that's what your Brian is :)

5. mykidsmylife

mykidsmylife Princess of Peons

Jul 12, 2012
    Brian is a very handsome fish. If it is due to a problem it happened when he was just a fry so don't blame yourself. I have an angel with a wonky fin from a bacterial infection when he was a teeny tiny thing. Not sure how he got it because the rest of the spawn is perfect. He is growing nicely and will be going to a new home here soon. I had no problem finding him a home. Everyone loves the "special" ones! :D

6. OrQidz

OrQidz AC Members

Mar 18, 2015
    Brian is cute! My answer to "what kind of fish" was - a goldfish! So I'm not an expert on goldfish obviously but he looks nice.

7. kcartwright856

kcartwright856 AC Members

Jewelry Artist
    Oct 6, 2013
    What a cutie! Consider yourself lucky to have the best of both goldfish worlds!

8. Somervell

Somervell AC Members

Mar 29, 2015
    Cute fish. He looks like a short bodied comet from the pictures, especially the first. Did I miss in the post how old Brian is? It looks almost like his body remained short while the tailfins grew long-- can be a sign of stunting in comets. He could be some kind of cross between a comet and a fantail, but I am going to stick to my hypothesis. The other fins? Well, I'm pretty sure they come standard with all goldfish.

Either way, he seems to be a lucky goldfish with someone who cares about him. Some goldies don't even get names, muchless someone who cares who they are. :)

9. ezziecat

ezziecat AC Members

Jun 1, 2014
    Aww, thanks for all the comments about Brian, he's feeling very flattered ;)

I'd never heard of this! I did a quick search and found this: http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Nymph_(goldfish) so you may be right, he may just have some recessive genetics that have resulted in a single tail.

Thank you! He is quite sweet. People can sometimes be quick to judge about animals being injured so thank you :) Looks like we don't know if he was deformed as a fry or just born that way (a 'nymph' apparently, thanks to moonstream!). Your wonky angel sounds cute >.< Suddenly I'm feeling like watching Finding Nemo!

Haha well you're not wrong!

I do, thank you! I have four fantails, including Mr. Brian, a black moor (who is now half orange!), a dalmation molly (used to have two but one died for no apparent reason :( ) and a little loach called Albie (Albie the Algae Eater >.<). They're all lovely and I'm very lucky. I'm hoping to give them a bigger and better home soon.

Sorry I'm new so learning which info to include! I'm not sure exactly how old as we inherited him from family, but we've had him for about 6 months to a year I think, and he measures about 3 inches.

You may be right. I'm inclined to think he may just be a 'nymph' fantail, so we'll have to see who's right as he grows up and gets his adult body!

Aw, thanks! All my fish have names, even the loach hehe.