Largemouth Bass...can?t unhook!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Largemouth Bass...can’t unhook!

Good afternoon all;

I went fishing today and caught my first Largemouth Bass (it’s been my dream since day one). The thing is, I recently discovered that this fish has a fishing line coming out of its mouth. This can only mean that their might be a hook attached at the end of it. I try to gently pull on it, but it wasn’t coming out, and it seems to bother the Bass.

At one point I got to seem inside its mouth while it was doing some deep breathing in the corner of the tank. I think I might have seen what looked like a hook, but I am not sure.

Any advice on what I should do? Do you think he can live like this, or is his time limited if not removed?

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
The thing is I don’t really know how deep down its throat the hook is. I think this might be one risky operation if attempted by me. Do you think a vet can do such a job?

akryden

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
this may sound bad but the hook will eventualy rust and fall out then will be passed. if it bothers him its probably the line so maby instead of risking more damage you cut the line as far back as you can then keep an eye on it. it realy should only take at most a month i would assume, hooks seem to rust pretty fast. good luck in whatever you do hope it turns out for the best.

also by the red eyes, light green and the vertical stripes i think that is a smallmouth bass. only because i do a lot of largemouth fishing.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Just leave it where it is...you will do more harm trying to get it out...The acid in the fishes throat will eat the hook up.

Did you bring it home and put it in your tank ? :(

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
:lol:

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
largemouth bass

I may be wrong but I am almost 100% positive that your fish is a smallmouth bass. As for the hook, don't bother taking it out, it will come out in a couple of days. Sounds to me by the way you described that it swallowed the hook, The angler who caught the fish did the right thing by cutting the line because if the hook were removed it would be fatal to the fish. The fishes' digestive juices will eat through the hook and it will be just like new. You could cut the line with fingernail clippers as close the hook as you can and it will alleviate most discomfort. I hope i helped, good luck!

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Yes you guys did help me a lot, but also destroyed my dreams of catching the big one in the process... :( I guess its back to the lakes for me… :) And yes I took it home with me. I’ll cut the line as far back as I can.

Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store