Fish that will eat plant debris (hornwort)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddoan

AC Members
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
Is there a fish that will eat hornwort debris readily? I have quite a bit and want some help cleaning it out. I have no algae, my amonia is 0 as well as my nitrite. My nitrate is below 5 according to the hagen test kit.

Thanks,
Don

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Snails will clean up plant debris, after it has begun to break down a bit. Most fish that will eat this kind of stuff will also eat the plant itself. You may want to look into getting a prefilter on a power head--the litter gets sucked onto the filter, which can be easily removed and rinsed.

ddoan

AC Members
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
Any particular fish? I was thinking about getting a couple of Pseudotropheus socolofi aka Powder Blue Cichlids, but they will a month old and I don't know how they'll even touch the debris. I also have a dwarf neon puffer that likes snails dearly. Adding snails will be hard since they disappear readily.

-Don

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'm not that familiar with cichlids--you may want to post in the Cichlid forum and see what they can tell you.

Dwarf neon puffer? Have a scientific name for that? I have dwarf puffers, so know what you mean about snails vanishing. Of course, they can also be very abusive to just about any fish--I had to remove the cories from my tank because the puffers were beating the heck out of their fins.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I when I had dwarf gourami that they used to eat dead/dying pieces of my hornwart. Don't put them in there though if you're puffer will beat the living daylights out of them ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store