FS: Red Claw Shrimp (Freshwater Longarm shrimp/prawn)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
For Sale: Macrobrachium dayanum, Red Claw shrimp.

I am selling juvenile or young adult ranging from 1/2 inch to an inch long. Here's the price scale.

No sales of fewer than 2 shrimp.
2 to 4 shrimp $5.50 each
5 to 9 shrimp $5.00 each
10 to 15 shrimp $4.50 each (may not always have 10+ groups available for purchase.
15+ contact me for availability.

Shipping up to 9 shrimp $13.00 USPS flat rate box.
Shipping 10 and above $15.00 USPS flat rate box.

If you want a different method of shipping used, contact me for a quote.

Shipping details

I ship primarily using USPS Priority mail flat rate boxes with a hard foam insulated box inside. The shrimp are placed in Kordon breath bags with boiled yarn to hold on to. I don't use plants to ensure that no unwanted 'bonus' snails are shipped. No more than two shrimp are placed in each bag. If the shrimp are an inch big, only one shrimp per bag. I use heat packs if the weather is forecast to be cold between my location and the destination.

To date, of the hundreds of shrimp that I've sold across the U.S., only one shrimp has died in transit (from a punctured bag). Most of my shipments have gone out using USPS Priority mail.

I feel it is vital that the buyer be well informed. Please read the following information before committing to a purchase.

Environmental needs
Red Claw shrimp need moderate to medium hard alkaline water. Do not keep in acidic water. Because of their size, two and a half to three inches long (not including their claws), the minimum sized tank is 10 gallons. They do well with water temperatures around 70°F to 80°F. Like all shrimp, they need places to hide when they feel stressed, or when they molt. PVC pipes work great for this purpose. Their tank needs to be filtered. To protect the young, use a sponge filter, or place something over your filter intake. Things that people have used successfully are; sponges, media bags, pantyhose. What ever you use, it is best to boiled it prior to using it in your aquarium. The shrimp are omnivorous and will eat any flake, wafer, or pellet fish food. They also enjoy blanched vegetables and boiled low fat meats such as chicken, salmon or other seafood. Avoid fatty meats, they can quickly foul the water in your tank(s). It is recommended to avoid keeping aggressive fish, such as puffers, cichlids, angles, loaches, etc... with shrimp. Even if the fish are small, they may harass or stress the shrimp to death, or ambush the shrimp after they molt. I don't recommend keeping any species of fish with young infant shrimp at all. The small shrimp most likely will end up as dinner. Like all shrimp, Red Claw shrimp molt. That is, they grow by shedding their carapace, then expand their boddy and harden a new carapace. The new shell is soft, at first, and takes a few hours, or longer, to harden. It is not uncommon for shrimp to loose an appendage, either to a bad molt, or to fighting immediately after molting. Don't worry about lost limbs, shrimp regenerate legs, claws, and antenna. When a crustacean molts, leave the empty shells in the tank for the shrimp to consume. It is a good source of minerals. There may be portions of the carapace that are not eaten. The remnants can sit in the tank without causing any harm.

Social behaviors

As with most Macrobrachium species, Red Claw shrimp have a social hierarchy. One male will grow larger and darker claws than any of his male tank mates. He will tend to be the largest shrimp. In such cases, the large shrimp is referred to as the 'Alpha Male'. The alpha male will create a territory of his own, and keep all other adult male shrimp out of it. However, he will herd female shrimp into his territory and guard them, particularly so when a female is ready to mate. Hence, the alpha male tends to do most, if not all, of the stud work. Unlike dwarf shrimp, this species takes much longer to sexually develop, approximately four months. They also live much longer, to about three years. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Here are a few photos of some of my breeding stock.
Alpha Male

Adult Female

For more pictures feel free to look here,
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x130/pixl8r/

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
PM replies sent. :)

Just a note to all, I currently don't have room for any trades. The tanks I have are all either full to capacity, or grow out tanks that must be available for new broods of shrimp. Once my second aquarium room is finished, I'll have more space, and tanks, available. It wont be for three months or so, but I'll post here when I can take trades.

mavisky

DIY FTW
Feb 6, 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
DO you have anymore females.

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
Sorry guys, I've been out of it for the past month. Anyway, PM's have been sent in response to your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store