Ghost/Glass Catfish sexing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Hi I have about four ghost catfish so far and I am hoping to attempt to breed these fish. I do plan on getting 2-3 more of these fish but I would like to wait until I can possibly sex the fish to get them so I could get the right ratio of gender.

I did notice, that some of them have darker and larger black areas on the bottom half of their sides and some have a darker green spot behind their heads.

I am hoping to breed these fish since they are extremely hard to find (minus a petsmart 15 miles away with a massive ick problem among the fish) and I would be happier if we could start leaving the wild ones in the wild.

Any information or photos would help. I have heard of pregnant glass catfish at stores but the eggs never made it. I also hear the females are plumper than the males when sexually mature, but how big must they be?

Could colors/iridescence prove the gender of the fish?

Does anybody have pictures of a pregnant ghost catfish?

Any information would be very greatly appreciated.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I am not sure completely what I was talking about with the differences between my cats above. One is black and clear and the other three (new ones) are green and clear.

In the first picture you can tell the color difference very well but it's blurry.

1.JPG 2.JPG

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
as far as i know they have never been bred in captivity. i dont think they can be sexed either. i have 5 for about 2 years now and they just do what they do... stay in one spot until food comes out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store