New to Paludarium Building

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rdeloughery

Registered Member
Aug 15, 2009
I started this in the Introduce Yourself forum but it was suggested that I move it here (at least I hope this is where it should be). I am simply going to copy and paste it here again, hope that is not a faux pas. I am a high school science teacher and was given a 45 gallon tank for free. Paludariums were always fascinating to me so I decided to try and build one. As with everything, I've been reading up on them for a while but have finally decided to try and build one.
So with 10 months between posts I am really trying to get this build underway and done. I have been doing a lot of reading but still would like some input as I go. I have a 45 gallon tank that I have created a false bottom for using pvc for supports, egg crate and screen for a false bottom and have attached it all with cable ties to form the structure seen in the pictures. I plan on using a home made sponge filter in the back left that will drive the water up and out to a small waterfall that will feed a small stream to carry the water to the other side of the tank. The filter and heater (if one is needed) will be accessible by a door on top of the stucture in the back left. And this is where I find myself.
I have great stuff I plan to use for the background and the stream (I've seen a stream formed using great stuff on another thread or forum). I have the hydroton for the substrtae and plan on putting some screen/weed cloth over that to keep additional sustrate from falling through into the water. Based on the size of the tank and the depthe of the water (3"), it will have a total of 7.5 gallons with 2.4 or so actually accessible to the aquatic organisms. I may create a floating island (you can see it by itself on the right hand side of the tank) if I feel the right side is too open. I have built it and plan on using some great stuff underneath it to allow it to float.
Now here are some of my concerns:
1. My set-up has the screen covered egg crate highly visible under the water. What is the best way to dress this up and still allow water to flow through?
2. I plan on using great stuff for the background since it seems easy to shape once it is cured. Would I need to create large cups in it to hold soil/substrate/pots or are there any better ideas out there?
3. I am shooting for a sort of tropical river system, but if it looks to be too expensive (I am a teacher after all and have 2 small children) I will do a temperate river system. I want something that looks great and can be used both as inspiration in the classroom as well as a tool (pH, dissolved O2, etc) for my Biology and Chemistry classes.
Any input would be great, especially if you see something that is obviously trouble.
Many thanks ahead of time,
Rich

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
mm i'll try to help you as best as i can.

for you're first question about the eggcrates showing i would put something in front of it like cork bark or similar that has cracks in it (not big ones) to alow water move ment through it.

seconbd question breating cupls or places to put substrate into the back ground is the standard method of planting plants in the back ground and would probably be youre easiest. you can hide them or make them more natureal i basicly now use cork bark to make them (i really like cork bark lol).

tropical is suprising easy as long as you keep the humidity up you should be fine, also plants are redily availible that are more suted for smaller tanks. i think you have the right idea and wish my science teacher did something like this in high school.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
what is the plan as far as animals? i think that would determine your build process.

as it is now it's looking like most frogs toads and salamanders/newts would love the space.

one of my first thoughts is your pump box. with the height on it already i'd go all the way to the top and use my g/s to fill the gap so nothing you're keeping can fall in there.

your ramp... i would do that in steps so you can slope substrate in there.

the bottom of your upright supports (assuming they're pvc piping) make sure to put holes or cut notches in them for drainage.

how do you plan on covering the b/g?

1. hide it... whatever's necessary as long as it's safe. you can use wood, plants, various size stones, etc. in any combination you like.
2. you can do it plenty of ways. it would probably be easier to use pots unless you want to get more elaborate keeping it wet although the humidity should be nice in there if you cover the top. you can get the typical b/g pots for cheap at most hydro shops. epiphytes are nice though.
3. surely since this is for a school project and you're willing to do this you'll get help and the price for something real nice shouldn't be astronomical as would be normally. i think you should open up your avenues and copy and paste this info in as many places as you can to get feedback and see how things go. i think there's a good likely hood you'll be surprised by the response you get. if i may, what grade(s) do you teach?

for a paludarium you might be better off just going to get some sticks without bark and some (as many as you can get) rocks from a local water source instead of a f/b in there. for a vivarium you're on the right track, imo. somewhere in between...

rdeloughery

Registered Member
Aug 15, 2009
No specific animals chosen yet, but frogs, toads, newts, and a few fish are all possible, maybe crabs or lizards, not quite sure. I will only put in animals that are appropriate to what the finished product will allow.
Now for the cork bark...easy to find or must it be ordered?

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
Now for the cork bark...easy to find or must it be ordered?
it depends on where you are i will say most pet stores sell it for varry over priced but you might be able to find some at a nursery that specializes on orchids. i got most of the stuff i use off of ebay, i was like $40 but i had a good sulection of peices and sizes.

rdeloughery

Registered Member
Aug 15, 2009
Update

So I have been slowly working (was away for 3 weeks and got back to it today. In June I got the background in using the Great Stuff and some inserted pieces of driftwood and a couple of egg crate shelves I had made. Today I used more Great Stuff to raise the front lip of the land area so I can layer the clay pellets and substrate for planting. I also made a river that will catch the water from the pump and carry it to the other side of the tank where the main water area will be. I am dreading the thought of having to cover all the GS in slicone and covering it with a peat moss/cocnut husk mix. I've bought the paintbrushes and can't find black silicone so I got clear and hope to cover it thoroughly so none shows through. That's all for now, any comments are apprecited, especially constructive ones.

x916krew

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
California
The build is coming along great and can't wait to see it completed

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
there is another method that i've learned about recently it involves using tight bound III wood glue and mixing in peat (or other media) and sort of painting it on it's supposed to be much easier and comes out looking really good. also it's pretty water proof you just have to let it cure for a while. the people that have used it have said that it a whole lot easier than the coco fiber silicone method.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store