Half of anemone is deflated

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
My new (carpet?) anemone has been moving around for the past few days and has finally settled. But I just saw that half of it was deflated and it looks like it spat out it's guts.
There's white stingy stuff around the deflated area.
Aside from that, the top half looks like it did when I first bought it.

Is normal? or should I start trying to remove it from tank?

Just finshed testing.

nitrate 20

nitrite 0

ammonia 0.50 (has gone up from 0 in the past 3-4 days, 2 of my clowns died within those days, and I had promptly removed them the moment I noticed. One died within an hour of being seen alive, although she was stuck under a rock for i-don't-know-how-long before I saved her....)

phosphate 0.50

PH 8.4

Photo0282.jpg

Last edited:

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
Hi there.
Your Anemone looks bleached (unless it is a white carpet anemone?). I would take care of the parameters as soon as possible. Specifically, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate. They are too high for the anemone.
Monitor the Anemone closely. If it turns into mush/snot remove it, that can happen very fast. Otherwise, it might still recover.
That is all i can say, as I am new to Anemones myself. Someone more experienced will give you more info.
Good luck!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I would say that one is a goner. The ammonia alone is probably killing it quickly, as well as what killed your clowns I would guess. The other parameters are ok, phosphates are high but certainly not deadly for clowns, but the ammonia is IMO. Now what came first who knows.. did the clowns dying cause an ammonia spike, or did a dying anemone cause it.. I would guess the anemone caused it.. but that is a wild guess on my part.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
clowns started dying when I added anemone.

I'm not sure how long it was the first one was dead in the tank, because I was buzy with work, and was cutting on feeding for 2 days...

KLelle

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Toronto, Canada
www.kirstilangen.ca
i have a bubble tip anemone and the same thing happened with me with my clowns, they all suddenly died from a sudden ammonia spike and actually that forum up there that leocom posted was mine! the anemone now is doing great, still white but it's all bubbled up and full (i bought it white) if you don't have any fish in your tank right now i'd just wait it out see what happens....let me know if it lasts!

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
ahhh

I have 4 other fish, and saw this moring that it disolved more of itself so I decided not to risk it. Quite sad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store