female betta is about to explode, help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
I have a female betta that has been munching out on live worms and her egg sac has grown to humongous proportions. She looks like she is going to explode! I'm worried for her as she is having trouble swimming she has gotten so big. She stays mostly on a plastic leaf near the surface so she doesn't have to travel to breathe.

Is there any safe way to encourage her to expel the eggs?

Without using a male, none of mine are ready for mating.

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
really?

one of my other girls finally squirted hers, but I have no idea how/why

I gave her some pea yesterday, should I just fast her now?

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Stick a male next to her, not in the same tank. She'll get uber excited & just go 'poof!'. Least that's what I used to do to my over-producing ladies.

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
I tried both, I fed her a piece of slightly cooked (yes it was cooled off) pea once a week and fasted her, and I tried dangling ;) a boy near her, but neither worked.
She died.
:cry:

Funny thing, the boy, Charlie, found her interesting, he didn't flare or freak out (well he stopped freaking out after I gave him a plant lol - I keep the cups they come in and they 'dangle' from the lid so I can get new smaller fish used to the tank temp before dumping them in - ), he just checked her out and floated around in his cup.
Out of curiosity I later moved the cup over to the sorority to see what he would do, he would have eaten those other girls if he could lol! Did he know the first girl was egg laden? She couldn't really move much, but her tail got really big when I put him 'in' with her.
I wonder if she would/could have breed with him? He'd never finished a bubble nest, but he tries when he thinks about it lol.

Thanks for your help anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store