10 gallon red clawed crab tank and questions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
so im gonna post a couple pics and ask a couple questions! :) by the way im new.
1.how do i change the water to brackish? i was going to do 0.002 a week but hydrometers dont go that low. can anybody whip out their refractometers and tell me how much salt it takes to get to that in 3 gallons of water?
2.im going to sex my crab today and want to know if i should add an opposite sex partner and how many(ill be upgrading to a 20 gallon long in the future)
thanks
piere.jpgPiere
pieres tank.jpg
i took that plant out bc i couldnt see the crabvery much.

piere.jpg pieres tank.jpg

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
1.006~1.008 would be nicer

Just as a refrence sea water is hovering around 1.024~1.026 most of the time

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
seawater is approximately 35 parts per thousand salt by weight (or 3.5 per cent). This means that the mass fraction of salt in seawater is 0.035 (meaning for every unit of mass of seawater, 0.035 times that mass is salt). A gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs. So if you wanted to have a gallon of seawater, 0.0035*8.33 lbs of salt would be in it.

Be advised that the above is an approximation, since once you add the salt to the water the weight of the gallon won't be 8.33 lbs anymore, it will be 8.33 lbs plus the weight of the salt. But the difference won't be significant and ocean salinity can vary anyway.

To do this more accurately, you could take the density of seawater, 1.025 g/mL, figure out the weight of 1 gallon of seawater (there are 3700 ml in a gallon of water, and 454 grams per pound), and multiply *that* by 0.035 to get mass of salt.

Go Wikipedia!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store