Breeding my Apisto. Cacatuoides

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Well here goes, I've got my 10g set up its been running for a week and I just put a sponge filter in that has been in the community tank the apistos are in now for about a week and a half to two weeks. I'm going to wait another week with that in the tank and I've had an Aquaclear HOB filter for a 30g tank running the entire time. I also did a small water change (maybe 5%) using water filtered through peat moss. Here's the first picture of the tank without fish.

What do you all think and am I missing anything? I plan on switching to only the sponge filter once the eggs are laid if that happens.iphone.jpg

iphone.jpg

BigJohn

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
Unless I am mistaken, and please tell me if I am, running your tank empty like that for a week means a dead or dying cycle. If you want to keep your sponge filter's colony alive, you'd need some fish in there.

I did that a couple of times (starting a tank using a filter that ran in an established tank) and it worked fine, but I added fish right away. I'd put in a couple of whatever dither fish you have in another tank if you want to run the tank a few more days before adding the apistos. (I'd go that way)

Or you could move the sponge filter back in the other tank until you are ready to move the apistos. And bring in the living sponge colony and apistos at the same time.

Do you have a couple or a trio?

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Just 2. I'll put some cherry barbs in there for a little. They could probably use a break from the red claw shrimp in their tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
you are saying you have a breeding pair?
What are your parameters?
BigJon has a point.

BigJohn

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
You could also add some more clay pots... I've had breeding pairs getting pretty tense during mating time so the more hiding places the better. Try to maze it up a bit.

Cichlids... Better safe than sorry in a 10 gal.

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Well looks like I didn't have to do anything other than water changes. Got the 10 set up and there's fry in my 46 community tank. Lots of plants in here so what do I do now. I've got a pen plax 750 or 1000 running on the tank, the intake about 3 inches from the bottom. Will they get sucked up or are they ok. Here's a bad picture I took with my phone

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store