Bubble AlGae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
Does Bubble Algae kill off coraline algae? I've notice an increase in the bubble algae in my tank and the coraline has diminished underneath.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Well, algaes do compete for space, light and nutrients. If it covers the coralline then it could starve out and replace it.

The bubble algae is much better at the all around competition then coralline, so bubble algae will win.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Bubble algae has always been a real irritant when I've had it. It's probably my least favorite alga to deal with, even though it can be relatively easy to remove manually.
As for your question, if it's growing on top of your coralline, it will definitely shade out the coralline and eventually kill it.

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
Yeah, thats what has happened. I just can't get rid of the stuff. I've been picking at it all weekend. I've tried keeping an Emerald crab but they're sorta delicate and the 2 I've had, die out.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I've not had the best of luck with emerald crabs, either. Out of the 4 I've tried at various times, only 2 did much as far as eating the bubble algae. The other 2 weren't interested in the bubble algae at all from what I can tell. Those 2 that did eat it did a great job at it though, and really got it in check in a short period of time.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
I just had some bubble algea in my tank. I was suprised at how firm the bubbles were, I had to really work at it to remove them. I thought they would just pop once I touched em.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Popping them is not the best idea (wasn't sure if that is what you did). Best thing to do is try and roll them off the rock without popping them. If you have a tight cluster, take a piece if airline tubing and cut the end at an angle and siphon them out. Of course, if you can remove the rock and scrub them off outside the tank, even better :).

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Just as greech suggested, don't pop them. You'll just spread them instead. I didnt have to big an issue, because I was able to remove the rock it was on, pick it, and then throw in a bucket for a couple of weeks. I kept rerinsing it, incase any popped, to get rid of any possible seeds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store