Freshwater crabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jeosbo01

AC Members
Jan 13, 2011
Does anyone know of any freshwater crabs that are able to readily be bred/raised in freshwater and are fully aquatic?
I'm trying to settle on my next BAP project.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Nope. Fully aquatic and freshwater? Thai microcrabs. Readily bred? Not so much.

What's BAP?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Heck, if you COULD find a way to get micro crabs to breed readily in captivity you'd be a hero to some. I think Rachel (msjinxd) had a baby pop up randomly but not sure how it turned out and not sure if she even knows how it happened in the first place. Most never seem to get past the larval stage.

Though if you want quick BAP it's probably not the best way to do so...

jeosbo01

AC Members
Jan 13, 2011
Heck, if you COULD find a way to get micro crabs to breed readily in captivity you'd be a hero to some. I think Rachel (msjinxd) had a baby pop up randomly but not sure how it turned out and not sure if she even knows how it happened in the first place. Most never seem to get past the larval stage.

Though if you want quick BAP it's probably not the best way to do so...
I'm good, but if Rachel only had one get past larval and it was luck then I don't think I need to try!!! I did breed clownfish for a while and had a fair amount of success with getting them to settle out, but they were WAY more of a pain than I want to deal with right now.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I don't think any crabs fresh or salt, keeping the larval alive through all the stages would be much more of a pain then keeping clown fry alive i think. I have a Porcelain crab thats been with eggs several times but never even seen any of larvals.

jeosbo01

AC Members
Jan 13, 2011
I don't think any crabs fresh or salt, keeping the larval alive through all the stages would be much more of a pain then keeping clown fry alive i think. I have a Porcelain crab thats been with eggs several times but never even seen any of larvals.
The biggest factor with most that go through a larval stage is the length of time from hatching to settling out, with clowns it is less than 2 weeks. Some fish and inverts go through multiple stages of larval development and may need specific triggers to develop or settle.

The biggest issue for me though is just the time required. Between rotifers, micro algae, water changes and adult feeding I was spending 2-3 hours to keep 4 pairs of clowns going. It is involved but not difficult...I just don't have that kind of time right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store