Ghost Shrimp / Crayfish with Tetras can they survive ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I was thinking the same thing but I was laughing because I'm a kid :).

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
That looks like a Cherax Crayfish and if so is not such a killer like the american variety. These guys get way too big for a 15gal.

dorwock

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2015
Do not make the same mistake i did. about 8 months ago i bought a 2 inch blue cray and put it in my community tank. All was peaceful until recently, it has caught and eaten: a 3 inch highfin pleco, all of my ramshorn snails, am left with 5 neons out of a school of 20 and two platties from a school of 7. this in a 200lt tank (not sure what that would be in Gallons). Ghost shrimp are fine as juveniles but get mowed at adult size. When the lights go out the feast begins, they even learn the best way to hunt your fish.
He lives by himself now, the survivors transferred into a planted 60lt tank. i stock his tank with tadpoles from the local pond for something to look at but have never seen one make it to adult. These guys eat anything and everything, and will rearrange your tank to their liking.

But... they are amazing creatures to behold, just stock your tank with cheap fish that you won't get attached to, (not that you will get the time) and all should be good

Fishfur

AC Members
Aug 28, 2012
Just curious. Do you know the species of the Ghost shrimp ? In the USA and Canada, the most common Ghost shrimp by far is Paludosus paleamonetes. It's entirely fresh water, but they are low order shrimp.That means they do not have babies that look like the adults. They have larvae, which take about a week to develop into shrimplets. They hang at the water surface for a few days after that and are highly vulnerable to fish predation but it's quite possible to raise them in a separate tank and I've raised a number of broods of these shrimp.

Other Ghost shrimp, so called, are different species and may well need brackish water but almost all shrimp who do need brackish or marine conditions for their babies are also low order and have larvae as well. High order shrimp include Neocaridina davidii ( cherries) and some of the Caridina, like Crystal and Bee shrimps.

And the other posts are right, a crayfish of that type is going to snack on fish and shrimp with gusto and soon it will be the only pet you have left in there.

dorwock

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2015
Not sure of the type of shrimp in my tanks, the supply told me they are glass shrimp. They have no trouble breading, I have seen multiple females with egg clusters. I catch them as soon as they are big enough to spot. Thought I had transferred all of them out my crayfish tank into my smaller tetra tank but am still seeing lots of "shrimplets" in the crays tank so they clearly still breading.
Attached picture, maybe you could help me identify the exact species

WP_20151120_08_46_03_Pro.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store