3 Month Maintenance on Fluval 406 Cannister Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
So today was my first 3 month maintenance on this filter. Everything was pretty much the same as the monthly maintenance except for cleaning the intake, strainer and outflow pieces. It also calls for cleaning and lubricating the AquaStop O-ring gaskets. I wasn't quite sure what those were since there is no diagram of the parts of the AquaStop, but I thought once I removed it, I'd be able to figure it out. Problem is that when you go to take it off, the water from the tank syphons out through the ribbed hose. Luckily, I thought that this might be the case and placed a bucket underneath. So , I am guessing that in order to clean the AquaStop gaskets you have to take the whole assembly down, ribbed hoses, clamps and all, or is there an easier way???

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I think the Aquastop O-Ring connects the the Aquastop to the Fluval. No need to disconnect the hoses.

My 406 is due for a major cleaning. I want to take all the tubing off and clean it our well. Whenever I clean the filter and start it back up, there's always a bunch of crap that shoots out of my spray bar.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Gee, I'm embarrassed, I've only cleaned my 404 twice in 1.3 years. It's just a bio filter for me on a 75g. I "would have" lubed the O ring if I could find any of several mini- tubes I have somewhere. That said, it's getting quite noisy...from air in the system somewhere I guess. The O-ring sits under the top rim of the filter housing. If it's seems less than happy, you can replace the O ring too but grease it with silicone-safe lubricant like I should have.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Gee, I'm embarrassed, I've only cleaned my 404 twice in 1.3 years. It's just a bio filter for me on a 75g. I "would have" lubed the O ring if I could find any of several mini- tubes I have somewhere. That said, it's getting quite noisy...from air in the system somewhere I guess. The O-ring sits under the top rim of the filter housing. If it's seems less than happy, you can replace the O ring too but grease it with silicone-safe lubricant like I should have.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store