Qt question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I am not trying to be rude when I say this, but do yall even read the name of the thread and what I wrote? I said QT question which implies that I am using a qt tank.
So I will ask it again, is it ok to treat for ich even if they don't show signs yet?
??? I'm pretty sure a few of us suggested "No" right off the bat.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I would also get rid of the QT tank after putting fish in DT. If it is a recurring problem, your QT tank might just be the cause of the ich. Didn't mean to get rid of the tank itself, but get rid of all the water, kill your filter, clean it, reseed the filter in DT and leave in there until you need to use the QT again.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I'm about to start up my qt tank soon for a new batch of fish and was just checking in advance. Thanks for all the answers. The last batch of fish in the qt did not get ich, cuz I got them from a good pet store while on vacation. I have 4 filters on my 10 gallon and I use 2 filters for the qt tank so I am going to go with the other two filters with this batch while letting the other filters stay on my 10 gallon. The other filters that were used in the last qt have been dried out and then put on the tank for about a month.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Duckie may have a good point, ===If the tank and filters for the "Q" tank are not cycled, you may be having an ammonia/nitrite issue, causing your "New" fish to be stressed and then getting ICH.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
The filters are always cycled because keep the filters on my 10 gallon when not being used and when it is time to start it back up I use 2 other filters on the tnak for the qt tank. So while the filters on the qt are cycled the 2 filters on the 10 gallon are both cycled or are almost already cycled and they both have enough bacteria together to fully cycle 1of the filters and then a lot of the other filter.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I have a new question. I am planning to get some fish soon, like within the next few days and I was wondering when would be the best time to start up the qt. I am not sure if I should start the qt the night before or right before I go to buy the fish.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
As long as you are using seeded material in your filter, you don't want to run it for too long without any fish to produce the waste to feed the bacteria. I would put the seeded filter on the tank just prior to going for the new fish. I have been told not to let the bacteria go for 24 hrs without a fish or two in the tank.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Just make sure you start it up in time for the heater to heat the tank to the proper temp, you don't want to shock the bacteria going from one temp to another.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store