Getting Back Into the Hobby, Few Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DTurner

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2015
Hey All,

So I have not had a tank set up for about 3 or so years. Previously I had been introduced to plants in the tank and I did have a few but nothing too crazy.

The Mrs has let me set up a tank again and I wanted your guy's input on if this is a decent idea for what I have.

So to start off its a 20 Gallon High Tank, so its not a ton of space to work with but plenty to start in the small apartment we have. I am planning on doing a 3 layer Substrate, Organic Soil, Red Florite, then Cap it with Black Sand.

I already had a T5 light fixture and just got new 6500k Bulbs for it. But my main question on lighting is should I only run 2 of the T5 lights or should I use all 4. I don't want to over do it on the light but I am going to try my hand at Dwarf Baby Tears, more on plants later.

I have a Fluval 106 External Filter. I figured that would be fine expecially with plants and other clean-up crews.

So I did some research and figured on the following plants to start with in the tank. I know some like the Dwarf Baby Tears may fail just because they are a very difficult plant from what I heard, but if it works I think I like the idea of the following:
Dwarf Baby Tears, Dwarf Hairgrass, Cabomba, Ludwigia, Red Melon Sword and Amazon Sword.

I plan on having about a 2 to 2.5" substrate in the back for the swords, but I read that potentially the Melon may get too big, however I figured I could trim it.

I do plan on dosing with the Seachem products and I am considering a pressurized CO2 System.

With all that said, what do you guys think? Should I just do 2 T5 Bulbs or all 4 in the Fixture, (I know DBT need lots of light to carpet). Also does that plant mix sound sufficient or even plausible?

Thanks,
David

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I didn't know a 4-tube T5 fixture existed for a 20H footprint. What does it work out to wattage wise? All 4 tubes on might work out for you given the right amount of liquid CO2 being dosed. If you didn't have the tank already, I would have suggested a 20 long or 29g as as starter, given the roomier footprint they have over a 20H.

DTurner

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2015
Hey,

Odyssea makes a 20" 4 bulb T5 fixture, 18 watt bulbs for a total of 72 watts. Here is a link, they are a great price for what you get in my opinion. LINK TO FIXTURE

I also may use a pressurized CO2 system as well. For now I'm stuck with the 20H because thats what i had, but hopefully when I get a house, i'll be allowed a "Fish Room" and have a few other tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store