water exchange between two tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danelpalfrey

AC Members
Dec 1, 2014
Birmingham UK
coticule.freeforums.net
Real Name
Daniel
Hi guys, I have what might be a silly question, I have two aquariums side by side. I was wondering if I use two water pumps that are exactly the same (which I have) will I still need to heat BOTH aquariums, also would this even work in terms of water transfer? asking this as my second tank is unheated and only has a few plants in at the moment, I don't want to go to the expense of getting a heater and a new co2 set up for the second tank so was hoping I could use a simple transfer system like this?

Dan

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I think it is a bit more complicated. If you have, say 2 20 gallon tanks, and the heater in one is only rater for 20 gallons, you will not get enough heat. Further, that heater will have to work twice as hard to keep up, and won't last as long. As for pumps, I assume you mean using one to take from tank A, and pump into tank B, and vice versa? Even If you get it to where the flow rates are even, one little mishap could cause a huge mess. There are ways to make it failsafe, but at that point you could just buy a new heater.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The other option, if space allows, is to do a shared sump for both tanks, and use a return pump and HOB overflow for each tank and put the heater in the sump.

Reactions: Rbishop

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
It would even work to use one tank as the other tanks "sump". Only put one overflow on the higher tank and a return pump in the lower one. If space allows that one is a bit higher than the other.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I've seen setups where a whole bunch of tanks were plumbed together with either overflow boxes to go down to the next level or siphon tube connections between tanks on the same level. With one pump running the whole system. He called it his circulating range setup. Had half a dozen tanks done together like that. Of course this means strict quarantine procedures to keep the system healthy.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
space does not allow for a central sump, I want this tank heated as I will be adding some shrimp from my main tank so I can always guarantee a sustainable colony
Many shrimp species will tolerate less than tropical temperatures. I have cherries and malawa shrimp in an unheated tank which gets down to 60F or so in the winter. The colonies are huge.
Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store