Changing water & testing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Betts Baby

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2015
Did water change today 25% & added Prime & stability to the water, went to pet store for a few things & she said I did wrong...what's a girl to do? Tested water GH 120, KH 180, PH 6.0, NO1 was 1, & NO 2 20. Not so good only two out of five were goo. Will level get better in days to come ? Ima tryin:)

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The levels that you found indicate that your tank is cycling and thats a good sign. You should also have a test for ammonia. When ammonia and nitrite are at zero with nitrate around 20 you are cycled. The levels will get better but only with time and regular water changes.
I would also recommend testing the water from your tap to compare. Well water can have some odd levels to begin with.

Betts Baby

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2015
The levels that you found indicate that your tank is cycling and thats a good sign. You should also have a test for ammonia. When ammonia and nitrite are at zero with nitrate around 20 you are cycled. The levels will get better but only with time and regular water changes.
I would also recommend testing the water from your tap to compare. Well water can have some odd levels to begin with.
Thanks will test for Ammonia as well as do a well water test.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Have you read the cycling information yet? It will give an answer to these questions that you have. Not that I mind answering. . .
Basically a cycling tank will go through these stages

1. Ammonia = high, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 0
  2. Ammonia = mid-low, Nitrite = high, Nitrate = 0,
  3. Ammonia = low, Nitrite = mid-low, Nitrate = 0-low
  4. Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = low, Nitrate = low-mid
  5. Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = mid
When stage 5 is reached, your tank is essentially cycled. This can take anywhere from weeks to months depending on your stocking, feeding, cleaning, external water source, etc. Until then you want to keep changing water, but doing minimal filter/gravel maintenance until your ammonia stays at zero and then you can go to a once/twice a week water change schedules. At least that's how I've always done it. I don't even touch a new filter for the first month or gravel vac as these are the places your bacteria is growing. Keep your feeding minimal and test before every water change. Which with your die off I would recommend as frequent as you can. Good luck, keep us posted =]

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Have you read the cycling information yet? It will give an answer to these questions that you have. Not that I mind answering. . .

When stage 5 is reached, your tank is essentially cycled. This can take anywhere from weeks to months depending on your stocking, feeding, cleaning, external water source, etc. Until then you want to keep changing water, but doing minimal filter/gravel maintenance until your ammonia stays at zero and then you can go to a once/twice a week water change schedules. At least that's how I've always done it. I don't even touch a new filter for the first month or gravel vac as these are the places your bacteria is growing. Keep your feeding minimal and test before every water change. Which with your die off I would recommend as frequent as you can. Good luck, keep us posted =]
Tiff is so awesome.
When I start a new tank, or have one cycling, I keep a log of measurements to track my cycle.

Mark

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Tiff is so awesome.
When I start a new tank, or have one cycling, I keep a log of measurements to track my cycle.

Mark
Aww thanks! I am Tifftastic after all ;)

A log is a great idea! I have actually been known to write the values on the side of the tank in dry erase marker. . . or they get scribbled on class notes and I lose them. . .

Betts Baby

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2015
Tiff is so awesome.

Mark

Thanks soo much I agree with Mark your awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store