what is the smallest tank for a betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
the biggest tank i myself would put a betta in would be a 55 gallon.and i may know w alot of stuff about fish but i truly dont know what an over flow is.could you tell me?
like petluvr said. its part of the filtration system. both ends of the tank there is a square box with slits. as water is pumped into the tank it fills up the extra water drains into the over flow. the water goes down into a sump which then gets pumped back up to the tank.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I have a 3.7g that has a built in filtration compartment (with room for a heater), that is super easy to maintain. It's big enough for a small piece of mopani wood and a bunch of plants. My betta seems very happy with his home.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
im wondering the world has said many different things about betta size tank some say half a gallon some say 10 gallon.but what do you say?
IMO, it depends on what you want for decor, filtration, heat, etc. If you're fine with a pinch of substrate and a tiny plant (fake or live), they can live in a vase if you change the water daily. If you want some live plants, other decor, heat and filtration, I can't see going smaller than a standard 10g.

Like said above, they basically live in murky puddles in the wild.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Years back I researched how some show betta breeders kept their fish, and was a little shocked at their setups. Basically racks upon racks of Mason jars. Some had rigged up a filtration system, but I know it must have been an all day project to feed, clean, and maintain.

By comparison, my little Cubic 3.7 seems like a fishie mansion.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
After having a Betta in a 10 gallon a while back, I would never go less than 10 gallons. They are very active and like to have short bursts of fast swimming. This way you can have 1/2 the tank with plants and the other half open water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
My Bat Cave somwhere in TX
Use to have one in a 29g didn't really like the space. I have one in a 10g and a female in a 3g and another male in a 2.5g.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
The smallest would be 1 gallon. When I first got into the hobby many years ago, I kept a Betta in one of those small cups that holds about 2 cups of water. Not a good thing. They're kept in those tiny specimen cups or those small round glasses only to be put into something that is either the same size or a bit bigger. My last Betta was kept in a 5 gallon tank and from there I moved it to a 20 gallon high with other fish. Even though Betta don't live very long doesn't mean they should be kept in such cramped conditions. Betta should have enough room to swim in all directions. Give them enough room where they can feel satisfied, happy and the ability to move.

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
I think the footprint should be at least 12"x4" or so, the bigger the better... but I wouldn't go more than a foot deep.

As stated, they seem to do best with a heater and a filter. (Not to mention a varied diet)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store