Tankmates for Sunfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dukey3784

Registered Member
May 4, 2005
Missouri
Hi

I have a 240 Gallon Planted tank. I have 5 sunfishes in there. They are local to Missouri. What type of fish are compatible with them? If I am too limited I will remove them. Any advise appreciated? I have some Angels, Corys, and Pleco in another tank. Let me know thanks!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Madtoms, crappie, darters, chubs...

Mark

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agreed--none of the fish you listed will work with the sunfish. Depending on the species, they can get to be substantial fish, and are territorial and tempermental. They won't mix well with most tropical freshwater species.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Sunfish are terrible for small fish, bro. They bully every other fish in the tank if it is too small a habitat. They are territorial, as my man said above, and this is 1,000x worse if they are not captive bred and thus from the wild. My dad had an awesome native species tank with bluegill and sunfish....and community fish. Oof.

dukey3784

Registered Member
May 4, 2005
Missouri
Thanks for the replies. I put the sunfish back into the river where I caught them. I decided to buy schools of tetras instead. :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
...That's even worse, TBH. Now, anything that sunfish was exposed to in your tank (parasites, bacteria, etc) has been released into the river, and a fish that may be captured and eaten has been exposed to the chemicals you use in your tank.

Reactions: Duckie

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I put the sunfish back into the river where I caught them. I decided to buy schools of tetras instead. :)

Oh god. Don't ever release fish from a tank into the wild, even if they were originally from there. In your aquarium, they can be exposed to pathogens, parasites, and infections that they may not encounter in the wild, and even if they don't appear symptomatic, they can spread it to other fish where they are released. You can actually wipe an entire body of water clean of fish life by doing this.

Something similar occurred with frogs - clawed frogs (Xenopus) were imported from Africa, and they carried an endemic fungal pathogen called chytrid, which they'd built up an immunity to and showed no symptoms. Some people released their pet clawed frogs into the wild when they became bored of them, and within a decade, global frog populations are in grave peril and multiple species have been lost to chytrid infections.

Don't do it! Don't ever release any pets into the wild, even if you collected them yourself. The results can be disastrous.

As to the original question, sunfish are nasty. The best tankmates for them are other sunfish and same-sized cichlids.

Reactions: Tifftastic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store