Clown pleco at my shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
I just got a new clown pleco. It's only about two inches max, and it was in the tank with my cories and my amanos for one night, and I have a dead eaten shrimp. These shrimp are about the same size as my new pleco, and everyone seems to have differing opinions on whether you can keep these guys with shrimp. Is it likely that my pleco killed and ate a shrimp the same size as him...or merely coincidence? I also provided everyone with sinking algae pellets so he shouldn't have been hungry.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
There might be a reason for differing opinion? The difference in success or failure may be as simple as enough hiding places for the shrimp. It is too big a coincidence that a newly introduced nocturnal fish that is known to eat shrimp had nothing to do with the dead shrimp.

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
Well there are hiding places, but my shrimp don't hide. It doesn't matter anymore anyway because I took them out, and started a shrimp tank. I just hope he doesn't feel the need to eat any cories.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The shrimp could have died and the clown, or the cories scavenged them which is fairly common for most fish to do. I doubt your clown will go after the cories, but do make sure you have driftwood in your tanks as the clowns do eat that and you may end up with weird behavior from them if there is something lacking in their diet.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Clown Pleco, or Clown loach? Clown plecos aren't predatory, clown loaches are...

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
Clown pleco. I do have three pieces of driftwood in that tank. It is possible the shrimp died, but it would be outrageously coincidental since it was the pleco's first night in that tank.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It would be very odd for a clown pleco to go after a shrimp. They're peaceful herbivores, although like MOST fish they will eat dead fish/shrimp if encountered.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
It would be very odd for a clown pleco to go after a shrimp. They're peaceful herbivores, although like MOST fish they will eat dead fish/shrimp if encountered.
I disagree with them being herbivores. They are omnivores, even though the majority of their diet consists of plant matter. That is probably why it is suggested that they do well on a strictly herbivores diet in an aquarium. They can be territorial and kill off invaders into their territory.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store