Snail Mates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Juliefish

Registered Member
Aug 10, 2015
Palm City, Florida
Real Name
julie
Ok, everyone has all different says about different snails. I wanted to know, what snails are able to be together & cohabitant in 10 ga & 15 ga tanks. I understand the MTS breed like crazy so dont want them. what does everyone recommend - I have 6 apple snails each in its 2 gallon - can I add more? Can I mix them up :) Thanks in advance Julie

Just would like some definition of all this - every google takes you to a place where you can purchase these guys. BLACK DEVIL SNAIL, pagoda? one says live breeding - is this a snail that would over populate as the MTS - or kill my apples? I know assassins do what their name does, but would love some more "cleaners" that will not kill my existing snails or, procreate like crazy

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've never heard of the black devil snails, so I looked them up and found this post on AC that said they were Faunus ater and that led me to Wikipedia (I linked them in this sentence, those aren't auto added links). It looks like they are a brackish species and don't breed in fresh water. I wouldn't put more than one apple snail in a 2 gallon as they can be pretty dirty. However, you can put them all together in the 10 or 15 gallon tank. Apple snails don't bother each other at all, and you can easily identify their egg sacks and remove them.
Nerites are also another option for snails. I kept them with bridgesii and the random ramshorn and mts that were in my tanks. Just make sure they get supplemented foods that are high in calcium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store