New EBJD - Is it healthy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jennaveere

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

I just got an EBJD from a local breeder. I was wondering if someone with some experience can tell me if he looks healthy. I noticed that his eyes are popped out a bit. I don't mind it, I think it looks cute but I just want to make sure he is healthy and I am not ignoring an illness.

I just got him last night so he is in a 29g quarantine tank at the moment. He is eating very well. He looks a little less silver than he did last night. To me, it looks like he is getting a little darker. I hope that isn't a bad sign. I will post a few pictures. The one with the blood worms on the bottom of the tank is from last night. The rest of the pictures are from today.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

IMG_20150831_225850970.jpg

IMG_20150901_174238644.jpg

IMG_20150901_174229711_HDR.jpg

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
Sorry to say but he's infected with popeye, which is usually a bacterial infection but can be parasitic, in this case I would say bacterial....Fins looks look infected. I would give him a Epsom salt bath at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Is your quarantine tank cycled, if so what are water parameters? This fish can be cured by maintaining excellent water quality.

jennaveere

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2015
The quarantine tank is not fully cycled - it was almost there when I got him (last phase of the cycle). I changed the water 50% twice yesterday and was planning on doing the same. This morning, Ammonia is 0ppm and nitrites are .25pm and PH is 7.4. His eyes aren't cloudy, they are crystal clear. I am planning on keeping up with the water changes to make sure the water quality is excellent for this little guy.

I spoke to the breeder and he said his eyes have been like that since he was born and the others are the same. He also mentioned that he was growing them out in a 125 with a UV light etc.

How exactly do I give him a salt bath? Should I get a smaller aquarium and do it in there or add it right to the quarantine tank?

Thanks for all the help!

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
I would really try to put this fish in a cycled aquarium, maybe run zeolite or purigen to absorb nitrite etc. I would also suggest finding another breeder, as that(popeye) is not normal; your fish is in bad shape. Take a look at a healthy EBJD, compare eyes and fins.

Add Epsom salt to pitcher, let salt dissolve and add to quarantine tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Clarification... what salt did you buy? If your breeder said the other fish are the same, I wouldn't have him on buy from again list. A true breeder or just a hobbyist selling fish? I would cull fish for less issues than yours and not even think of selling a fish like that. If he can't recognize pop eye on a EBJD he is not very knowledgeable or responsible, IMO.

jennaveere

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2015
I bought API aquarium salt. The fish came from

WWW.electricbluejackdempseysforsale.com

I paid $75 for him. My husband picked him up for me since I couldn't make it which was probably stupid on my part but I still don't know if I would have been able to tell if he was sick as I'm not experienced with ebjd's.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A high price for a fish with those issues and he says the other fish are the same. His site doesn't show any references from previous buyer. Looks like just another wanna be breeder that is a member of a club. Can't hurt to contact the club and see if they are recommending him. I believe he is just using their name and implying being bigger than he is.

Not sure if the API salt and Epsom salts are similar. But plenty of frequent water changes and a good diet may save him. There are many known issues with EBJD just to let you know.

jennaveere

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2015
I read about salt baths too, not sure if that would help on my case. I'm treating with melacam as well. I was planning on putting him in a 75g with a blood parrot or 2 but now I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'll take care of him the best I can. Thank you guys for the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store