Stocking A Ten Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
I would have at least 30g worth of filtration for a larger stock. 10g tanks can swing rapidly regarding water quality, so keeping the tank consistently clean. will be your number one priority.
Is there any brand/model of filter that you like for such a tank?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I generally prefer to keep 2 smaller filters rather than 1 large one. If one fails, you have a backup. For me, in something as small as a 10g I don't get too picky on brands. I run a whisper 10 as well as a small internal powerfilter rated for a 10g, but thats only because those were the 2 I had laying around. I don't really see the need for more than a nominal 10g filter as long as it can support your biolaod.(besides the obvious redundancy)

Seems for someone new to fishkeeping you have done a lot of research.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
I generally prefer to keep 2 smaller filters rather than 1 large one. If one fails, you have a backup. For me, in something as small as a 10g I don't get too picky on brands. I run a whisper 10 as well as a small internal powerfilter rated for a 10g, but thats only because those were the 2 I had laying around. I don't really see the need for more than a nominal 10g filter as long as it can support your biolaod.(besides the obvious redundancy)

Seems for someone new to fishkeeping you have done a lot of research.
I do have a smaller whisper sitting around, rated for 5 gallons I think. I did not think about that until earlier this morning after I went to school, so if that sounds like enough filtration I would probably do that. I believe from the information I can find the flow rares added together are at least 100.

Thanks for all the help everyone

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
The minimum for regular corys is 20 gallons. He might be able to have dwarf cory's though.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Went ahead and hooked up my little filter while I was doing a water change. Looks a little sill, but I'll see how it goes.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What kind of plants are those? They do not even look aquatic.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
What kind of plants are those? They do not even look aquatic.
I think those are fake silk plants, from the looks of them and how they are bent.
Most of them are silk plants, although I am trying to grow some philodendron/pothos, which I have heard do well in fish tanks on the Monster Fish Keepers site. If you are seeing the plants near the front, those are the fake ones. The naturally colored ones with pointed leaves are philodendron. I may consider adding real plants, if there is anything that does not require any special care like fertilizer or CO2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store