My aquarist rant

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I think salt can be useful for a cure or help for ich, but as a general rule it is not necessary at all in freshwater tanks.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
LOL Sorry folks...been a lot going on in my life lately. Also, I can't think of anything right this minute that I feel strongly enough to rant about. If there is a subject anyone reading this wants discussed, by all means bring it up. Perhaps you'll open more discussion.

Mark

Reactions: Jade.Crusader

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not sure if these have been touched on, or maybe lightly, but....

Fish only grow to the size of tank they are kept in...

And one that irks the crap out me, making statements that gold fish and plecos are messy fish... totally untrue....

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Come on Bob, you know that baby channel cat will NOT grow any bigger than the space in a ten g tank.:rolleyes:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
True, they are flexible at a young age and can double back on themselves.....;)

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
I've seen many people successfully keep whales in 20 high, sometimes up to a month. Apparently, as long as you keep the overall mass moist by pouring water in the cracks, they do just fine. :p

Reactions: Lady JinglyJones

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Excuse me? Whales? Ok, think you guys are just goofing. Anyone want to talk about Bettas and the sadness of that industry?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I think the goldfish and pleco thing is a good topic. I guess they are no more messy than anything else their size. I think the "myth" if we can call it that is from considering the size of the fish in relation to the tank. So yes, a common pleco in a 10g is eventually going to be very messy, even if it's only 2-3", because it will get big enough to cause problems with excessive waste. But then we get into generalizations too. Saying pleco or goldfish in the way Bob is talking about usually means common pleco and comet goldfish, when in reality pleco is about as accurate a name as cichlid.

And since this is a rant thread, we are doing a series on Jonah at church. As a prop, the pastor from last Sunday brought in his daughters guppy bowl. Yup, you read right, a single male guppy in a little 1/2g bowl complete with day glow gravel, plastic plant, and treasure chest. My efforts to tell him why it was wrong, and even my offer to buy him a 10g setup went unheard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store