First 55 gallon...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BlueJackets13

Registered Member
Oct 7, 2015
I have no idea if I'm posting this in the correct section of the forums, so if I am correct in saying this, my apologies.

To begin, I am purchasing my first 55 gallon fish tank. I have some prior experience with aquariums, as I currently have a 25 gallon with a pair of Bolivian Rams. However I have never had experience with a larger tank such as a 55. I have done much research on a larger tank such as this, but I do need advice on stocking the tank with fish that will not kill each other :). I was thinking a planted sand substrate, I also would like some suggestions on whether or not sand and plants are a good mix..

So, I have a rough (and I mean very rough) stocking list that I would like to have more experienced owners comment on to make sure the fish are compatible with one another. So here it is!

1 Firemouth cichlid or some other peaceful cichlid as a centerpiece fish
6- 8 Mollies of some kind
Some sort of algae eater, Pleco maybe?

Are there any other cichlids that I could keep with this list or instead of the Firemouth that would work with said tankmates? Like I said earlier I don't want the little guys to get eaten :(. Also, what decor could I keep with these fish to keep them happy? Thank you!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
There are a number of options for substrate. I have just sand (light colored play sand in one and black diamond blasting sand in another). Other people will use a base such as flourite or other plant specific substrate. Others use the plant base and cap it with sand for the look, and still others even use potting soil capped with sand. It will be just fine to use sand alone. If you have heavy root feeders you may want to use root tab fertilizers. Lighting is important for plants, so let us know what light you have, or plan to have. I have never kept FM before. I suspect they may harass the mollies and may uproot plants, but I'll let others chime in there. As for algae eaters, they are not needed, especially in a planted tank kept well. The plants will out compete algae if they are healthy. If you want one because you like it get it, but be prepared to supplement algae tabs or fresh veggies. A common pleco would be too big, but there are a few smaller species that would work. I really like ottocinclus because they are small and cute and having a bunch of them together is fun to watch. But like I said, don't just get one because you think you need one.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!

BlueJackets13

Registered Member
Oct 7, 2015
There are a number of options for substrate. I have just sand (light colored play sand in one and black diamond blasting sand in another). Other people will use a base such as flourite or other plant specific substrate. Others use the plant base and cap it with sand for the look, and still others even use potting soil capped with sand. It will be just fine to use sand alone. If you have heavy root feeders you may want to use root tab fertilizers. Lighting is important for plants, so let us know what light you have, or plan to have. I have never kept FM before. I suspect they may harass the mollies and may uproot plants, but I'll let others chime in there. As for algae eaters, they are not needed, especially in a planted tank kept well. The plants will out compete algae if they are healthy. If you want one because you like it get it, but be prepared to supplement algae tabs or fresh veggies. A common pleco would be too big, but there are a few smaller species that would work. I really like ottocinclus because they are small and cute and having a bunch of them together is fun to watch. But like I said, don't just get one because you think you need one.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!
Thank you! Good to know I won't need any algae eaters, and what if instead of a FM I got a pair of Blue Acara's along with the mollies? I know that they'd smaller, but still nice- looking. Are they aggressive as well?

Last edited:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Laetacara dorsigera (Red Acara), Keyhole (Cleithracara maronii), Festivum, and Rainbows are all good options for a 55gal. Cichlids will be cichlids so I would not mix them, but a pair would be nice.

I think they also will get along with Mollies. The Festivum for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store