29 gallon tank lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bradley372

AC Members
Sep 27, 2015
Hi. I'm new to planted tanks and I'm trying to figure out if I have adequate lighting. I currently have a dual t5ho fixture 24 watts each, 6500k. I want to have at least moderate lighting. I've looked all over forums and can't get a straight answer. Where do I stand right now?

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
What do you want to grow? IMHO that gives you low-to-moderate lighting for a 29G tank, given the height of the tank. Plenty for low light and many moderate light plants depending on distance from plants to the light.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
2 24watt T5 (6500k is good for plants) is a little on the low side, but is enough for Crypts, Java Sword, Moss Balls, ect.

Bradley372

AC Members
Sep 27, 2015
I currently have water wisteria (which is doing really well), ludwegia (also doing well), anubias and Val. Also have dwarf sag and moneywort but they don't seem to be doing well because they came in rough shape from shipping. I think I'm maxed out with plants so I just want to know if it will provide good growth or if I should add another fixture. Also I'm doing liquid ferts and diy co2 (just started it up yesterday).

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The plants you have currantly are either low light or can tolerate low light. Adding another light opens up more possibilities and more concerns. With higher light you will need better control of CO2 and ferts, but will get better and faster plant growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store