Starting back up....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I have read this post, and I cannot see where "Duckie" is being judgemental. He is not "attacking you", he is just trying to find out what you are asking. Really, what does Keeping a Moorish Idol have to do with what Duckie is asking? IMO, (sorry) but you was not very clear on what you was asking.
Thank you for those nice words. The problem why "judgement" and "personal attacks" come into play is unfortunately the Moorish Idol, I am afraid. It is one of those fish that should be left in the ocean. I am not sure if and where I stepped over the line, but I am assuming 1wizz 1wizz took personal offence by me saying so. Especially since I do not have a lot (probably close to none) first hand experience with SW fish keeping. Both my SW tanks are still very young and cannot be considered anywhere near mature by any standards. I am learning, and will see what happens.

What kind of no-nos do I have? My 180 gal tank has 4 tangs in it, 3 of them will get big. There is two hippo tangs, a yellow tang, and a chocolate tang. I am aware that the hippo tangs may not get along any more once they get bigger - they are still small (maybe 4ish inches?). Going to have to see what happens - they been the very first fish that got into the tank. I was afraid that the yellow tang would bully the chocolate appon arrival - even though the chocolate had already started to change colors before I got him. There is that, live and learn. It is not even in the same league as keeping a Moorish Idol, but still against recommendation, especially for a brand new SW fish keeper like me.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
No problems Duckie, but I was really trying more to keep both sides calm. I really did not see why "!wizz" got all upset. I have seen a few treads here where some says something very innocent and the other side is all over that person. Even got to the point of using very inappropriate words. There are people very young on this forum, is this what we want to show them?
As for SW, I had a SW semi reef for over 10 years. I later realized that to reallllly enjoy SW, my tank was too small--It was my 100gal too. I too had tangs, a flame angel, ect. But i wanted the best of both world, a reef and lots of fishes. Soon realized I could not have both.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
The secret is multiple tanks, possibly? I picked up a used 90 gal system this week for $400. Only thing that is missing is the tops and lights for the DT that I need to get yet. Everything else came with it: drilled 90 gal tank, stand, sump with refugium, skimmer, lighting for sump, return pump, heater, circulation pumps (one with a wavemaker), filter socks with spares and even the sand. The plan is to set it up as a black and white themed FOWLR build around a black nox angelfish and a pair of black and white clowns. Not sure about the other fish for it - might have to get some with a little bit of color.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I think he is asking what the best equipment for a set up is period. Not an out of the box package but each individual piece?
I think you are right. And it appears he picked out an empty shell that is ready for customization when he said:
FYI I'm thinking of a Red sea Reefer 450 with a Shoal of Moorish Idols I'll PM you some pics
That is far from complete. Has maybe one limitation that I can see and that is the size of the sump (24gal). And you still need to pick out two big ticket items - a skimmer and lighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store