What are these?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
I got these at our LFS the other day, and forgot to write down what they were. I think the bigger, pointier one is a krip?? I can't recall... we picked that one up because the pleco we bought was loving it. Had to bring the little guy's plant with us :rolleyes:. Anyway, it is kind of ratchety looking. Will it green up in there on its own? Should I fertilize it?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The one in the pot is a Cryptocoryne (Crypt for short). Looks like it might be C. wendtii to me, but I am not sure. The other is an Anubias and it will do a lot better not planted. They grow from a rhizome and like to have their roots out of the substrate, so it should be attached to a rock or driftwood, you can do this with a little bit of thread or a rubber band and eventually the roots will grow around the object.

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
Thanks :) . And the anubias does look planted right now but it's actually attached to a rock like you suggested. It's roots are out, the pic just doesn't show it. Any suggestions on revitalizing the cryptocoryne??

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Remove it from the pot, and divide it up. There are probably 10 plants in there, and they'll be happier if they're spread out and planted. Might lose some leaves, that's pretty common with crypts, but it will come back from the root.

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
Should I divide it up into tiny pots or will they tether to a rock like anubias? I don't have any growing substrate, just rocks.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Crypts aren't picky and they'll grow in the rock that you have in the tank much better than they'll grow with roots constricted in the pots. Crypts are hardy, mine froze on a move across WA state once and came back just fine. They may melt a bit when you replant them, but will grow back just fine as OrionGirl said.

Reactions: Jade.Crusader

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Crypts grow better planted in the substrate. Un-pot. Devide them, and replant them.

Reactions: Jade.Crusader
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store