70gal Paludarium/Vivarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
looking very good! looks better than some displays I have seen at zoos.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Looking really good, Cal! I am going to have some "terrestrial" areas in my new 55 kinda like yours, and I was wondering... do you have to scrape the glass often in the "dry" section above water? It seems like the tops of my aquariums' glass always collects dry mineral stains where it gets wet and then dries again. Maybe I should add some JetDry to my water so I don't get water spots? Kidding!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Looks great! Whenever im in the proccess of setting up a tank so many ideas run through my mind that i have to stop for a while. Whats the flora and fauna stock ?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
looking very good! looks better than some displays I have seen at zoos.
Thanks, you are far too generous though!

Looking really good, Cal! I am going to have some "terrestrial" areas in my new 55 kinda like yours, and I was wondering... do you have to scrape the glass often in the "dry" section above water? It seems like the tops of my aquariums' glass always collects dry mineral stains where it gets wet and then dries again. Maybe I should add some JetDry to my water so I don't get water spots? Kidding!
I just rub Rain X on the glass every other water change or so, works great... Thanks, the terrestrial portion is honestly pretty boring right now because I can't make up my mind what I want to do with it. I am really leaning towards a jewel orchid on the bottom right side but I just haven't gotten around to ordering it and some better soil. As for water stains, not really. At every water change (once a week) I just scrape the glass with a plastic scraper (those last pictures were taken 6 days after a water change) and then use a paper towel (usually) with a little bit of vinegar on it around the water line.

Looks great! Whenever im in the proccess of setting up a tank so many ideas run through my mind that i have to stop for a while. Whats the flora and fauna stock ?
That was (and still is) a big problem for me. I have so many idea and so little time/money/space to narrow them down (not too mention I'm not exactly a pro at this stuff).

Flora: Hygrophila corymbosa, Alternanthera reineckii until I find a Thai replacement, vesicularia dubyana, an unknown terrestrial moss (growing above the Java moss on the log picture) from a secret source, and a dwarf Cyperus of some sort.

Fauna: 12 Pethia pedamya, 10 Ambastaia sidthimunki, 1 Crossocheilus siamensis (still looking for friends), some MTS, and in a few more months some kind of filter feeding shrimp (Atyopsis specie I guess).

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Quick update with no pics: I added a bamboo shrimp that died about three days later (not doing that again) and three more SAE's. They were little guys when I got them about two months ago but it seems they have nearly doubled in size.

Still haven't finished the background, maybe in May..

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Here is a picture of the tank from about two months ago; I have trimmed some of the plants back a bit and the moss has continued to creep since then but it otherwise appears similar.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
11-24-15 front.JPG 11-24-15 fish.JPG 11-24-15 fish2.JPG 11-24-15 fish.JPG 11-24-15 fish2.JPG
These were all taken tonight... trying to work on my horrific photography skills with a new camera. I am really trying to work on selecting a better shutter speed.

I think you can at least kind of see the "depth" to the tank in these photographs. That is probably my favorite part of this tank: I like how the fish can swim out in the open if they like, amongst the plants, or they can slide under the ledge/"root" system if they so choose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store