GreggZ's Planted Rainbow Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
I was actually just looking at that, lol! They both have their merits. Yours definitely being your fish variety. They're sooo beautiful. I have a new future tank developing in my head right now and it looks just like yours, haha

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
I was actually just looking at that, lol! They both have their merits. Yours definitely being your fish variety. They're sooo beautiful. I have a new future tank developing in my head right now and it looks just like yours, haha
If I can help answer any questions in any way, just let me know. I've been keeping Rainbows for quite a long time, and would be happy to share my experiences.

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Just a little update.....I've been trying to find a better way to adjust my CO2 flow. With a larger tank, the bubble counter is difficult to use. To get adequate CO2, you pretty much need a constant stream of bubbles. I have been finding it very hard to adjust.

After hours and hours of searching, I found where someone had used a Rotameter. I ended up purchasing a Dwyer RMA-151-SSV Flow Meter ($42.00 plus shipping). It arrived yesterday and I quickly hooked it up. It does exactly what I was looking for. Turns out my flow rate is about 20 cubic centimeters per minute. I can bump it up or down, say 10%, with relative ease. Again, with the bubble counter, this would be pretty much impossible to gauge.

Maybe this will help someone else out. I must say, so far I am very pleased. Will mount it properly this weekend.Dwyer RMA-151-SSV.jpg

generousman

AC Members
Nov 11, 2015
West Palm Beach, FL
Real Name
Steven
Just a little update.....I've been trying to find a better way to adjust my CO2 flow. With a larger tank, the bubble counter is difficult to use. To get adequate CO2, you pretty much need a constant stream of bubbles. I have been finding it very hard to adjust.

After hours and hours of searching, I found where someone had used a Rotameter. I ended up purchasing a Dwyer RMA-151-SSV Flow Meter ($42.00 plus shipping). It arrived yesterday and I quickly hooked it up. It does exactly what I was looking for. Turns out my flow rate is about 20 cubic centimeters per minute. I can bump it up or down, say 10%, with relative ease. Again, with the bubble counter, this would be pretty much impossible to gauge.

Maybe this will help someone else out. I must say, so far I am very pleased. Will mount it properly this weekend.View attachment 216284
you got a good deal on that for $42 + shipping! where did you get it?

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
you got a good deal on that for $42 + shipping! where did you get it?
Here's where I got it. I ordered the BV model for $42.00, which has a brass valve, and they shipped the SSV model, which has the stainless steel valve. The price on the SSV is $60.50. It was to me in three days. I don't know if the stainless is really better than brass for my purposes, but I guess it's good to have.
http://www.remotesiteproducts.com/p...owmeter.aspx?gclid=CJfv7P2ooMkCFYRFaQodHGkAiQ

Reactions: generousman

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Here's where I got it. I ordered the BV model for $42.00, which has a brass valve, and they shipped the SSV model, which has the stainless steel valve. The price on the SSV is $60.50. It was to me in three days. I don't know if the stainless is really better than brass for my purposes, but I guess it's good to have.
http://www.remotesiteproducts.com/p...owmeter.aspx?gclid=CJfv7P2ooMkCFYRFaQodHGkAiQ
And one more thing. I'm surprised something like this is not more readily available for aquarium market. After fooling around with it today, it is much, much better than a bubble counter. Once again, with a larger tank, a bubble counter is almost useless. I am really liking this thing. I'm going to get some readings this weekend and try to better equate it to bubbles (at least what comes out of my GLA set up).

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I had wondered how a bubble counter would really work on a larger system... Sounds like you could have the market cornered if you move fast enough on those! Don't some people use electronic controllers on larger tanks?

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
I had wondered how a bubble counter would really work on a larger system... Sounds like you could have the market cornered if you move fast enough on those! Don't some people use electronic controllers on larger tanks?
There are electronic meters, but to read the low flow we use, they are in the 1K+ range.

I did a test today, and the rough estimate is as follows:
2 bps = 5 cc/min
4 bps = 10 cc/min
6 bps = 15 cc/min
8 bps = 20 cc/min

I say rough estimate, because who knows if I counted the bubbles correctly, and who knows if my bubbles are the same size as your bubbles. Nonetheless, it provides a really stable reading, which makes it easy to adjust slightly up or down.

So in my 120 gallon tank, I am pumping roughly 8 bps or 20 cc/min. That gets me to lime green on the drop checker. The actual specific number is not important, but the ability to adjust more precisely in relative terms is.

generousman

AC Members
Nov 11, 2015
West Palm Beach, FL
Real Name
Steven
for some reason i cant register with them. ive tried several times and it says server error in application

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store