GreggZ's Planted Rainbow Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
for some reason i cant register with them. ive tried several times and it says server error in application
Now that I can't help you with. I just registered and purchased from them last week. If you can't get it done this weekend, I would give them a call Monday. Like I said, they are legit, and it shipped the next day.

Reactions: generousman

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Quick update today on my addition of CO2 into my Rainbow tank. Here's a pic from 9/28, the day I started CO2 injection and started getting more serious about plants, and a picture from tonight. In all fairness, in the "before" picture, I had removed many of my low tech plants. But still, so far going along pretty well. The thing I am most pleased with is so far I have seen almost zero algae. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thread Post 1.jpg
Thread Post 4.jpg

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
This post is a little different tonight. I am looking for advice, comments, and opinions.

I’m an old school guy, and have used nothing but Home Depot pea gravel for substrate for forever.

Since I’ve gone to pressurized CO2, and taken plants more seriously, I’ve been considering going to a more plant friendly substrate. The major reason being is that it is hard to plant stem plants into gravel (stems break, bruise), and foreground plants don’t seem to want to root, and don’t do too well.

In a spur of the moment decision this weekend, I went and bought a bag of Black Diamond Blasting Sand. I thought I will just try it in the very front of the tank, with the foreground plants. I have buckets of pea gravel, and can always change it back.

First impression is that I can see why people like this stuff. Plants go in so easily, and so far stay rooted. I’m going to give this some time, and see if it improves the growth of the foreground plants. It certainly has improved their appearance already, as they really do pop.

So here is the dilemma……do I return the tank to all gravel? Change the whole tank over to Black Diamond? Or leave it kind of two tone as is? At this point I really don’t know which direction to go.

Here’s the before and after. I’d be interested to hear what others would do.
Thread Post 4.jpg
Thread Post 5.jpg

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

aldiaz33

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
I like the two-tone look, but all black diamond would make the entire tank really pop.

...tough call, but the tank looks awesome either way. The entire setup is very nice.

BTW, I'm the guy with the "hotel lobby aquarium" on youtube- haha...on your stand & canopy video, you posted a link to your build thread here on Aquaria Central, so that's how I came across this thread. Nice carpentry work on that build...came out looking really sharp.

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
I like the two-tone look, but all black diamond would make the entire tank really pop.

...tough call, but the tank looks awesome either way. The entire setup is very nice.

BTW, I'm the guy with the "hotel lobby aquarium" on youtube- haha...on your stand & canopy video, you posted a link to your build thread here on Aquaria Central, so that's how I came across this thread. Nice carpentry work on that build...came out looking really sharp.
That is too funny. It really is a small world. I just posted that comment an hour or so ago.

Thanks for the comment on the stand build. As I look back at it, it was a miracle it came out the way it did. There were many, many opportunities for disaster.

I was actually trying to find your build thread on MFK. I wanted to learn more about that fascinating tank of yours. If you could, post a link, I'd like to learn more about it.

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Simply beautiful. I'm lovin' your cautious approach. It's paying off...
Great job.

The black sand looks amazing. I'd do the whole tank in it.

Mark

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Simply beautiful. I'm lovin' your cautious approach. It's paying off...
Great job.

The black sand looks amazing. I'd do the whole tank in it.

Mark
Mark thanks for the reply...........and taking a few minutes off from your ranting! ;);)

I'm leaning toward doing the whole thing in the black sand, but have to kind of soak it in for awhile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store