Snail problem.... any suggestions on a full overhaul?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SandySquarepants

AC Members
May 31, 2015
OK guys, help me out... I've got a 10 gallon with 1 male betta, 4 inbred "mini" platies and 2 corys. Every white dot you can see is a snail. I can't add any predator fish that would eat the snails and I don't want to use chemicals... looking for any suggestions for the process of breaking this tank down and cleaning it out
20151128_171105.jpg 20151128_171132.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Snails actually is a sign of a healthy tank, and maybe a little too much food. Clean the algae off the glass, and clean the gravel during WC, and the snails will go away=no food.
I would add an assasin snail (I heard, you do not want to add a "snail preditor"), but assasin snails do not grow big, will not multiply, and they look nice.. One would be enough to keep the population under control.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
assasin snail will help, another way is to put a slice of cucumber in the tank, wait 6 hours and remove it, alot of the snails will be on the piece of cucumber and just keep doing that till you get em all

Gabler

AC Members
May 1, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Real Name
Gabler
I thoroughly enjoy the pond snails that came with the plants in my tank. Cut back on how much you're feeding your fish, and you'll have a pleasant, manageable number of snails left. Keeping a few in the tank can help to clean up detritus. I wouldn't recommend getting rid of all of them. Just limit their food so they stop breeding so much.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, Totally agree with all the above. Feed lightly and the snail population will be light.

SandySquarepants

AC Members
May 31, 2015
When I said "predator fish" I just meant I'm a little overstocked as it is... but I forgot what assassin snails got their name for :p so if I can find one I will most likely get that but in the meantime I will try cucumber traps and more frequent water changes with the gravel vacuum as well as cleaning the tank walls of algae to decrease the population boom.

Should I be worried when the population crashes and I have dozens of rotting snails in my gravel? Or will a gravel vacuum take care of this?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The gravel Vac will take care of the shells, or they will disolve back into the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store