Cool stocking and equipment ideas for 33g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sneakerpimp

AC Members
Nov 25, 2015
33g build ideas for someone who's been out of the aquarium game for a while.

This is what I've put together so far for equipment:

33 gallon 36x12x18
Fluval ultra bright LED 7, 500k
Aquaclear 70 gallon rated filter
Black substrate(sand or small gravel)
3817551f.jpg
4984AAF2-B568-4FBE-B31A-37ADB8948132_zpskjatnv8y.jpg

Close to the look I'm shooting for.

Stocking(not sure if this is realistic, just picked out some colourful fish).

Fancy guppy - 10
Endlers - 3
Scarlet badis - 1
Killifish - 2
Celestial pearl danio - 5
Pygmy cory - 5
Panda garra - 1
German blue ram - 2
Red cherry shrimp - 10

34884_400wh.jpg IMG_8650.JPG

Haven't thought about plants yet.

Sneakerpimp

AC Members
Nov 25, 2015
I'm thinking now:
15 guppys
10 galaxys
3 garras
5 Pygmy corys
3 scarlet badis
10 shrimp

The killifish would be awesome and I would drop the shrimp to have one, but I believe they are next to impossible to find. I see next to no pictures or video of them in tanks so that's a bad sign. I did see eggs for sale on ebay though. Maybe it will just involve more effort to get them.

For plants:

Stream Bogmoss
Java Moss
Java Fern
Anubais Nano
Water Wisteria
Amazon Sword
DWARF SAGITTARIA

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I would drop the guppies completely and probably the garras in favor of just smaller fish. What is stream bogmoss? I'm curious.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I think annual killifish have some very cool species, but there are plenty of non annuals too that are very colorful. The one you posted the pic of is a non annual. If you are willing to have eggs shipped, then you can have non annuals shipped too. And dario dario aren't easy to find either. Something else that may need to be ordered.

I would leave the garra out, but other than that, everything else sounds good to me.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I must be a lucky dog... Between LFS, the interwebz, and not being too far from San Francisco it seems I am able to find just about any kind of tropical fish I could want. I keep reading various threads about this or that being hard to find, etc.... That is all. Carry on!

Sneakerpimp

AC Members
Nov 25, 2015
I would drop the guppies completely and probably the garras in favor of just smaller fish. What is stream bogmoss? I'm curious.
Stream Bogmoss Stem (6).jpg

I love the fancy guppy's colour and it's super easies to breed them which adds another enjoyable aspect to the tank.

What smaller fish are you talking about?

And what do you both have against the garras?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I must be a lucky dog... Between LFS, the interwebz, and not being too far from San Francisco it seems I am able to find just about any kind of tropical fish I could want. I keep reading various threads about this or that being hard to find, etc.... That is all. Carry on!
There is nothing I have wanted that I can't find. It's just not everyone is willing to pay 30 or 40 bucks to have fish shipped. I can usually find people to ship fish 2nd day and not overnight so that cuts the shipping in half. Plus the fish online are usually cheaper than what I can get locally. And healthier. So the cost of shipping is not usually anymore than buying locally for me.

I would leave the garra out because of their size, and they need fast moving, highly oxygenated water. Unless you want to build a river bio type, I would not get them.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
View attachment 216319

I love the fancy guppy's colour and it's super easies to breed them which adds another enjoyable aspect to the tank.

What smaller fish are you talking about?

And what do you both have against the garras?
If you love the guppies than by all means get them. Just be prepared to keep their population in check one way or another as they breed. For me, I would find breeding the Galaxy Rasbora's more interesting than the guppies; but it is your tank and not mine. Get what you want and make 'em happy.

As for the Garra, as Chevelle said they get kinda large and your tank is really not going to be set up for their ideal conditions.

There is nothing I have wanted that I can't find. It's just not everyone is willing to pay 30 or 40 bucks to have fish shipped. I can usually find people to ship fish 2nd day and not overnight so that cuts the shipping in half. Plus the fish online are usually cheaper than what I can get locally. And healthier. So the cost of shipping is not usually anymore than buying locally for me.

I would leave the garra out because of their size, and they need fast moving, highly oxygenated water. Unless you want to build a river bio type, I would not get them.
I find that about 50% of the time I can get what I want cheaper locally (or in San Francisco when I am up that way anyway); the rest of the time its close/slightly cheaper online. Like my bamboo shrimp i just picked up; $8 for the pair of 'em is about $1 more than I have found to be the cheapest online for a single shrimp (without shipping). The last time I bought one locally years ago; I paid too much ($15) but it was summer time and I didn't want to risk shipping.

Sneakerpimp

AC Members
Nov 25, 2015
If you love the guppies than by all means get them. Just be prepared to keep their population in check one way or another as they breed. For me, I would find breeding the Galaxy Rasbora's more interesting than the guppies; but it is your tank and not mine. Get what you want and make 'em happy.

As for the Garra, as Chevelle said they get kinda large and your tank is really not going to be set up for their ideal conditions
Yeah, I how you can have so much colour variation in the guppy's offspring. I didn't know you could breed galaxy's.

For the garra, it doesn't sound like they usually reach their wild adult size in captivity from reading around on forums. My tank while well planted, is going to be pretty low flow. Which isn't fair to the fish. It's too bad because they are supposed to be crazy algae eaters and fun to watch.

Do you think it really makes a difference having an algae eater?

I want to choose fish with interesting behaviour/movement.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Yeah, I how you can have so much colour variation in the guppy's offspring. I didn't know you could breed galaxy's.

For the garra, it doesn't sound like they usually reach their wild adult size in captivity from reading around on forums. My tank while well planted, is going to be pretty low flow. Which isn't fair to the fish. It's too bad because they are supposed to be crazy algae eaters and fun to watch.

Do you think it really makes a difference having an algae eater?

I want to choose fish with interesting behaviour/movement.
You can breed (or make a project of attempting to breed, at least) a whole lotta aquarium fish! Galaxy Rasbora's would certainly be a cool choice and something that there is likely a market for (the offspring). You can also breed the Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario); I used to keep some in an Indian biotope. I had a massive CO2 malfunction and killed them all though... (along with my dwarf gourami and stone catfish...). If you are going to breed egg layers though; I would consider having a separate tank for spawning or not including shrimp/many other fish that would eat the eggs.

You don't need an algae really; I'm not going to say they can't help things look perfect but I wouldn't worry about having one. The only algae that I have used algae eaters to actually help me keep in check/keep out of aquarium was Saimese Algae Eaters. Really though; if you are gonna have small shrimp, fish, small fish fry, etc; the more algae/microlife you have in the tank the better. Its not like you can't scrape algae off the glass easily!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store