Betta questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
So looking at breeding my 2 betta and was just wondering why it necessary to condition them for two weeks or even up to a month! I don't might if I don't get a whopping number or fry or is it for health reasons?

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
The female may not be ready to breed and the male may run out of gas and allow the eggs to sink and die. Condition for a week and as long as they start off in good health you should be fine.

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
Thanks figured I could be patient and give them a week they seem to be very into each other so I hope it al goes well when they meet!

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
The female has to get plump with eggs and both have to be well fed to feel willing to spawn and then successfully do so. Fish don't spawn just because you put male and female together unless we are talking basic livebearers. It's also good to let them see each other for a short time each day before trying to add them to a tank together. They will again feel more like breeding and may be a lot less aggressive with each other.

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
The female has to get plump with eggs and both have to be well fed to feel willing to spawn and then successfully do so. Fish don't spawn just because you put male and female together unless we are talking basic livebearers. It's also good to let them see each other for a short time each day before trying to add them to a tank together. They will again feel more like breeding and may be a lot less aggressive with each other.
Yeah I tried breeding them a few days ago (after a few days of letting them see each other a twice a day) and everything went great till they embraced and no eggs come out I left them together for about 24 hours and still no eggs after countless embraces so going to tried getting them both a bit fatter before trying again :) thanks for the advice!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
IME you need more than a few days to get both in the breeding mood with some high protein foods (bloodworms etc). How many floaty plants do you have? Boys like that...& girls too...

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
IME you need more than a few days to get both in the breeding mood with some high protein foods (bloodworms etc). How many floaty plants do you have? Boys like that...& girls too...
I've been feeding them frozen blood worms for a week since I last tried to breed them but got no eggs. I don't have any in their tank but I do have some in another tank I could add. Thanks for the tip! :)

Astarell

AC Members
Jan 28, 2011
West Coast
Real Name
Sara
I found that at the end of the conditioning period it actually works well to use one of those clear acrylic breeding boxes with slits in the side/bottom. Put the female in one in the male's tank so they can see and smell? each other for 24-48 hours before releasing her into his tank. The net boxes don't work as well though. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store