Betta breeding trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
So I am trying to breed my second pair of betta the first pair decided to just be friend and did not spawn. My new pair are both larger than the first and everything has gone well up until the embrace, they have been doing this on and off for about 9 hours now and there has been no eggs that I've seen. They both continue to embrace each other (even though the female seem a bit tired out, male still full of energy). I read about someone who had to wait a week till the female finally release eggs but also read it's best take the female out and try again in a week or so. What should I do?!?!

Astarell

AC Members
Jan 28, 2011
West Coast
Real Name
Sara
Definitely take her out, or bare minimum divide the tank. If they're larger, they're also most likely older and older bettas can have more trouble breeding if it's their first time. Make sure you condition them well with good high protein foods, preferably live, and probably for longer than you would normally need to- perhaps 2-3 weeks. (You can count the time you've already done towards the total) I also recommend slightly increasing the amount of time they see each other each day over the conditioning process until they're in sight for a full day before trying to breed. Let us know how it goes!

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
Definitely take her out, or bare minimum divide the tank. If they're larger, they're also most likely older and older bettas can have more trouble breeding if it's their first time. Make sure you condition them well with good high protein foods, preferably live, and probably for longer than you would normally need to- perhaps 2-3 weeks. (You can count the time you've already done towards the total) I also recommend slightly increasing the amount of time they see each other each day over the conditioning process until they're in sight for a full day before trying to breed. Let us know how it goes!
Thanks I've done pretty much what you said so I've been feeding them fozen blood worms for a total for 3 weeks now and I've had them in the same tank with a tank seperater for the pass two days and today's the big day I'm going to try put them together! His bubble nest isn't as big as I would like but hopefully he will build on it :/ but fingers crossed for this time :)

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
OK, what happened???
I now have a some baby betta fry!!! They are about 3 days old now and just starting to leave the bubble nest but the father doesn't really allow this haha
But would you recommend leaving the father in or taking him out? He's been a pretty good father never saw him eat and eggs or fry but this is his first ever breed so I've read it's better to take him out

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Once you start growing them out let me know as I'll take a bunch off your hands if you like.

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
Pictures we need pictures

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store