Help! Nitrate levels have been high for months! How will he make it another day?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish4m

AC Members
Feb 4, 2016
Real Name
Stephanie
Increase the frequency and amount to how much? Won't that just keep starting the cycle over?

Fish4m

AC Members
Feb 4, 2016
Real Name
Stephanie
I use the liquid test kits. I just came home and he had fun clamp! Okay ill follow the cleaning directions... In the mean time how long wil this last? (My tank goin through this mini cycle, and the water being clody) i feel like hes suffocating, how can I ease the pain through this cycle? Is two weeks too long to put the old filter media back in? What's prime? Where can I buy that?

And when I do vacuum the gravel I only can donhalf or less then half because I feel that it takes too much water out... And I always clean the gravel alone and nothing else that week... But I only do that once a month. Should I clean morenbecasse I find this green slime every where

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A water change won't start the cycle over...bacteria is not in the water column...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
You can easily go with 50% water changes once a week without upsetting the fish or the fish's environment.

It's too late for your old filter pads to be of any use for live bacteria but if you have the space to put it back, go for it. It gives more area for new bacteria to grow and it helps with water clarity. Prime is a water conditioner that you can find at just about any pet/fish store.

What light do you have on this tank? For how long? Sounds like you have an algae problem to boot. I think you can post pictures now that you have more than 5 posts, give it a try.

Fish4m

AC Members
Feb 4, 2016
Real Name
Stephanie
I tested the GH and KH of my tank and the GH is 120 and KH is 80. My tap water is 180 for both. I bought prime and I use it every day. My ammonia is still at .25 but my nitrate levels are down to 20! I don't use my lights, but they're just regular tank lamps with hoods. I never use them. How long should I feed him peas?... I'll try to upload some pictures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store