Oh no! My Malawi hap has one puffy cloudy white eye!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
Just noticed today.

I have a 90-gallon fully-stocked authentic Lake Malawi tank with a mixture of carefully-selected peacocks, haps, and mbuna. They all get along fine, except with this recent heat-wave the water temperature has reached 88 degrees and they've become quite aggressive. My smallest Red Zebra was picked to death, my first fish death since getting this tank a year ago. Very unlike the other fish to do such a thing.

Then today I find one of my fish has a white eye. I forget the name of it but it's a 1st generation sub-adult hap.

The water conditions are fine other than temp.

What could it be? Here's a photo...

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Maintain your water clean and it should hopefully heal. Cloudy eyes are a result from bad water quality or bacterial infection.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
cloudy eye...usually water parameters suspect; but if you're sure you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, some nitrates that's not it. The high temp won't help.

I'm thinking a bacterial infection or some such, brought on by stress from the fighting & heat...pristine water conditions should clear it up...you could treat with melafix & pimafix which are very non-invasive meds it it didn't improve after a few days.

edit : great pic btw

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
My friend told me there was a tap water advisory in certain parts of this city last week. Apparently the water might have had too much bad bacteria for human consumption? I Googled this and couldn't verify, but if true, I bet it's because of the heat. In any case, it must be over now or not in my area because I haven't heard anything more.

I did another 50% water change today. My cichlid breeder thinks the damage to the eye is permanent, although the life of the fish isn't at too much risk. It's only got sight from one eye now so if it looses sight in the other, it's euthanasia, unfortunately.

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
Can you just keep doing water changes until maybe you see anything happen to its eye:confused: ...it is a pretty cichlid....and if nothing becomes of the water changes. well. sorry you have to do what you have to do....

Visualeyes2

AC Members
Nov 4, 2000
White, GA
well i have to say that i would totally and completely rely on patience in this case. my oscar has had eyes like your africans eye in the pic and it has gone away. it has happened multiple times too. so, hang in there, and don't worry, it will fix itself.

chrissylouisex

Registered Member
May 6, 2016
cloudy eye...usually water parameters suspect; but if you're sure you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, some nitrates that's not it. The high temp won't help.

I'm thinking a bacterial infection or some such, brought on by stress from the fighting & heat...pristine water conditions should clear it up...you could treat with melafix & pimafix which are very non-invasive meds it it didn't improve after a few days.

edit : great pic btw
Hi. Ive got the same issue with my mbuna im fairly new to all the fish stuff.. hes had it for just over 2 weeks, ive done multiples of water change ive also used melafix but doesnt seem to be healing. Temputure and water is all right.. non of my other mbunas have caught it.. what shell i do, im worried hes blind. Ill try upload a picture when i can get one of him.. hes always hiding now

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Hi. Ive got the same issue with my mbuna im fairly new to all the fish stuff.. hes had it for just over 2 weeks, ive done multiples of water change ive also used melafix but doesnt seem to be healing. Temputure and water is all right.. non of my other mbunas have caught it.. what shell i do, im worried hes blind. Ill try upload a picture when i can get one of him.. hes always hiding now

This is a VERY old thread. Try posting a new on in the correct section and you'll get some answers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store