Help! Does my cory have dropsy? (Pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vudu

AC Members
May 1, 2005

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
well, i've never seen a fish with dropsy but supposidly thier scales stick out. while she looks like she's about to pop her scales seen smooth although the pictures are a little blurry. It could be she's constipated- i have heard feeding peas can help this but i've never had need of trying it. I've also never seen one with eggs- to my knowledge. What are your water parameters, how long has the tank been set up? what ever is going on do a water change and keep doing them- excelent water heals all. . .well pretty close.

hondaman

Quisiera ser un fish!
Dec 15, 2005
New Jersey
Well from looking at it Dropsy doesnt look like it fits (dropsy usually involves standing scales like a pine cone). Now I am not too familiar with this fish but here are a few things that I do see.

It is definitely bloated, as mentioned above prolly constipation, feed frozen peas, and do it quick. Constipation can eventually lead to swimming problems and death. If you are feeding flake food, stop. Change to frozen or live. Also feed only once per day until your fish is back to normal.

Another thing I see is clamped tail fins, is that normal for a cory? I know that this symptom is usually a sign of bacterial infection.

vudu

AC Members
May 1, 2005
Yeah, I've been doing plenty of small water changes recently. Water parameters are good... Ph = 6.2-6.8, Temp = 25-26 deg C, Soft water. I will try the peas (and maybe some cucumber). She does eat alot, especially during the night. Maybe i need to try some different foods. She does seem to lay eggs alot aswell... all over the glass. Maybe she is pregnant and constipated at the moment... that might explain why she is so bloated.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Definitely not dropsy.

What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

She could be impacted with eggs, intestinal obstruction, constpated, any number of things. Do the peas, not cucumber. The peas will help purge her system if she is bloated. Cucumber won't do that.

Roan

vudu

AC Members
May 1, 2005
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate < 5ppm

The tank has been established for nearly a year now. I recently went overseas for a while and my fish didnt have any food for about 10 days. When i returned i began feeding them as usual again. I suppose their stomachs may have shrunk over the course of the 10 days so i probably should have fed them small portions to start with and then gradually increased feedings to 'normal' portions. All of my fish survived the 10 days though... Didnt want to use those destructive 'time release' foods or auto feeders.

I've thrown a few skinless peas in there but they dont seem to be interested in them. I've never had much luck with my cories eating vegies in the past... they only seem to wanna eat these Tetramin tablets (they go crazy for them) http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf_id=80134060&dept_id=&brand_id=177

How can i get them to eat peas? should i offer them nothing but peas till they are so hungry they have to eat them?

thanks

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
vudu said:
How can i get them to eat peas? should i offer them nothing but peas till they are so hungry they have to eat them?
Yes.

If you can get your hands on some freeze dried daphnia, that will work, too, and they might eat that. The stuff is small, but it will fall to the bottom of the tank, they'll probably end up eating some of it.

You could also spike some of those pellets with daphnia, or dampen them and roll them in it. Same with peas. See if you can get some peas to stick to them.

Roan

constipated catfish

Registered Member
May 27, 2016
http://www.users.on.net/~iduthie/IMG_1103.JPG
http://www.users.on.net/~iduthie/IMG_1105.JPG
http://www.users.on.net/~iduthie/IMG_1106.JPG (From behind)

Hello. My female bronze cory is looking a bit bloated (see pics). Im not sure if she is full of eggs, has eaten too much or may have developed dropsy. I've never seen her so big before, but she still acts very normal... swims around alot, eats alot etc. What do you think is wrong with her??? Any help much appreciated.
Its a pity the peas and such didn't make your poor cat's death any less humane. You see, the thing is corys don't have scales so all the advice about protruding scales was misleading. Dropsy is fairly contagious, can be treated with bactericides such as tetracycline, sulfur and broad spectrum antibiotics though hit and miss. Best to euthenaise do a water change and prophetically treat tank to protect remaining fish.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Its a pity the peas and such didn't make your poor cat's death any less humane. You see, the thing is corys don't have scales so all the advice about protruding scales was misleading. Dropsy is fairly contagious, can be treated with bactericides such as tetracycline, sulfur and broad spectrum antibiotics though hit and miss. Best to euthenaise do a water change and prophetically treat tank to protect remaining fish.
Did you realize this thread was over ten years old?

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store