58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I didn't mean to yell (no caps eh?) but crap! we both know what (yelling now :p) CAN happen :eek:!

I have a road trip soon to 1 of the awesome importers & need to remind myself of the hazards of unplanned or lesser QT...doesn't mean I won't do it if they have something irresistible (I hope!)...but...it might be worth it...o_O or I may be sorry...my husband is an enabler, so no voice of reason there.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I do know what CAN happen! Luckily I don't think I've ever had a problem personally but I took up QTing early on to avoid any such disasters. I have plenty of other disasters though! lol
(You were absolutely not yelling, I just know you are right and trying to be funny with a bratty teen impression. ;))

Oh no, sounds dangerous! *Whispers* "buy everything!" :D Before a big trip like that I put an extra sponge filter in every tank I have, just in case!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I knew better than to mention my trip to you!! I saw what all you got at Rachel's last time. I knew you'd whisper dangerous ideas..."buy everything!?!"...they have a ton!

Of course choosing just a species (or 3?) is going to be oh so hard. I'll only have 1 real QT & not all my fish fantasy list would be compatible in a small tank even short term, let alone with my current fish & tanks. But I may be willing to risk my 75g for the right fish (old angel & tetras)... but not my river tank of breeding sewellia! All my tanks are "lightly" stocked, no new fish in over a year! I need this!

It's hard to stay focused on the big picture, especially in at an amazing shop. I hope it's as awesome in person.

Sorry to derail your thread, Jen, & being bossy (as usual, lol). I shoulda PM'd you

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Derail away, I don't mind! :) I know how you feel though. Until my recent explosion back into the scene I hadn't done/added anything to any of my tanks in years! Good hunting on your trip. ;) And Congrats on the breeding sewellia!!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks for being understanding. I often mean to post my (husband's) lame pics of my baby sewellia, 3 last year & 2? this year...but that's a different hobby...& a different board, lol. Put up or shut up is what I've been told, ha!

I have 2 filters, mostly w/ prefilters & a ton'o'plants in my 3 tanks (right now, eek!). It's not so much ammonia etc but introducing disease(s) & to incompatible but rare fish, yikes!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'd like to see those pictures. :D

Surprise Amano shrimp arrived today! Just checked my email and they did send me an email at 2:33 this morning, shrimp were here at 9:30! I wonder how long after shipping they sent the email cause dang that was fast! lol They are NOT ex-small, some are HUGE! I did a through inspection with a bright light focusing on their swimmeretes and rostrum and saw no signs of disease or parasites. One was missing part of his tail and and a couple were missing some leg parts but that's not abnormal and it should all grow back. After acclimating they went right to picking at everything! Now they are exploring, a lot! Little buggers went right into the overflow too. I watched a couple crawl, not get sucked, into the teeth then they pick at the walls awhile and crawl back up the waterfall and OVER the top of the overflow box! Crazy and smart little shrimpies! I love them! :) One of the biggest ones can't fit into the teeth but man she(?) tries! That tells you how big they are too.

The reason I saw this and didn't do anything immediately is because I was in a hurry to setup a hospital tank for one of my big goldfish from the pond before the week of rain started. She got herself into the weirdest but dangerous spot a couple days ago. Did a good bit of damage to herself and fungus sprung up yesterday so in she comes! Ugh! :(

I put some plastic canvas in front of the teeth, it works for now but I worry about it clogging too fast and overflowing the tank.

Added no ferts today. Lights are running full cycles now. A little more melt happened when I turned the water flow up to full but not much. Buce is doing terrible, no idea why!

pH - 8.2
GH - 7
KH - 8.5
Ammonia & Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10 (down 5)
Phosphate - 1.5 (up .5)

Pictures soon, site is giving me trouble.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, good thing you were home for shrimp delivery! My RCS loved flow in or out of filters & especially the gravel vac, must be all the goodies flying by. Now you can add checking the sump to your daily? list. Do you have a sock on it? I really only kinda understand sumps.

Gee, more melting?!? Only c. pontederiifolia melted all the time for me, almost every WC. I'm very sorry your buccies are still having problems. Were they new ones or 1's you've had (I know I asked before)? I ask because I had 2 anubias that had some kind of disease inside the rhizome, brown fibers. The leaves would slowly rot off & rhizome get a bit squishy. I'd trim it back to healthy looking tissue but it didn't last. I finally trashed them. I hope your buccies will adjust, cool plants & your others are doing so well.

Can you explain phosphate levels for me sometime? Are yours normal, low or high? It's not something I've ever tested for or worried about. I kinda figure fish food provides enough but you have had other water issues before...& no fish to feed either. Could fluctuating levels cause some of the plant issues?

I'm sorry your goldfish is sick. Sounds like she was lucky you found her when you did. Good luck! As if you didn't have enough to do...

Yes, Mom, I will test :rolleyes: & maybe post baby pics here someday (after my vacation :p )

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
  • My overflow pipe has a DIY screen on it so nothing can get further the the overflow box itself.
  • Melting was just a few leaves, mostly on the nurii which got the biggest increase in flow and it didn't melt much to begin with.
  • Ah, phosphates! One of those topics where you can ask 10 people and get 10 answers. All the way from ANY phosphates (even such low levels that we can't test them) WILL cause algae - to - Off the chart phosphates have no affect on algae or plant growth. My levels, 1ish is a good medium number in my mind. Plants need it so trying to keep it undetectable seems like a dangerous balancing act and I like to keep in ON the chart. :D
  • Thanks. The goldfish, Light is her name, was VERY lucky I found her. I was so tired that day I almost didn't check the skimmer. So glad I did! She looks better today btw. Eating so well like a good goldfish!
  • "As if you didn't have enough to do", couldn't agree more!! lol And I am going into a crazy couple of weeks right now too. Hopefully I can get things settled soon!
  • Vacation!? Where you going? Can I come? :)
Shrimp update - 2 dead, the smallest ones surprisingly. Most of them seem to have a milkiness to them. Typically this could be a bacterial infection. The 2 that died were extra white too. But I've also found 2 nice molts which is another theory to milkiness so I am not getting all worked up yet. Plus there isn't much info on successful bacterial treatments for shrimp, usually if they are milky already they die. I am ordering some indian almond leaves though. 2 that died were not as active and not eating well, everyone else is VERY active and eating machines! I fed them some medicated food pellets, which they run off with like Amanos do, figured it can't hurt nothing. I can only ever find/count like 7 to 9 at a time, they move around a lot and when they are not moving they camouflage quite well. lol

No ferts again today. Just trying not to bother the shrimp yet and the plants seem just fine (or not in the buce case).

IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2945.JPG IMG_2944.JPG IMG_2933.JPG IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2947.JPG IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2932.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, the Amanos do look whitish, might be a tank adjustment/molt thing? What kinda medicated food? I've read & never dared to try anything w/shrimp, good luck!

& good Light luck! She seems to be improving, fingers crossed! Nobody likes hanging in a skimmer! Poor baby!

Thanks for the quick lesson on phosphates! I know I need some but is a "medium-light" fish feeding level good enough? This is why I don't test (beside laziness), there needs to be reason/level to shoot for...& "most" of my plants seem ok-ish, except lack of CO2 & ferts.

I'm going to visit a cousin in ID with Portland, OR on the way home (Wet Spot Aquatics!). If you're coming get here really soon! & bring road tunes & snacks, it's far!

So, is you steel barn/garage-thing installed yet? & is it fish related in any way (other than less $$ for tanks)? Lotsa people do that here or in a garage (eek, I have a garage...NO!) You live in a colder climate...(& slightly snotty; but not really) we have solar panels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store