Old light structure not working , need help with new one

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dj baldwin

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
Los Angeles
Hello everyone, my old fixture finally stopped working after I accidently dropped it. I have been looking for a new fixture for my tank. I have a 40 gal breeder and it has been difficult finding one that fits my tank. I have been looking at this one for a while. It is a Power Compact 36" Aquarium Hood 2x65 Watts.

I know that is a lot of watts, but I want to stay around 2 wpg, but would like to go higher in the future. However I was thinking of only using one bulb, is this possible? Will my plants be okay? Or can I use other bulbs that are of 20 watts each, will this work on this fixture. Please help, my tank has been without any light for 2 days and I would like to order/purchase a fixture as soon as possible.

Thanks

Plants in my tank:
Anubias nana,
java fern,
anacharis,
hornwort
giant hygro

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
foster and smith online is having a sale I just ordered a 1x65 watt 24 inch coralife for $50. not sure when the sale ends.

I would use both bulbs to give you 3.4 watts per gallon, plants should be ok and you could get some more demanding plants in the future. One bulb would be under 2 watts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store