Building a full Setup...Part 1

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Well, today I finally got to make a start with the build for new system.

Just to start off with, will throw some dimensions at you all so you know what I working with.

Display Tank - 53"L x 15"W x 24.5"T ( about 100 US Gals )
Sump - 36"L x 12"W x 15"T ( about 20 US Gals )
Tank Stand - 54"L x 20"W x 35"T
Plumbing - 1" ( UK Measurements ) through-out with a 1700 litre per hour pump for the return
Lighting - got to save a little cash for this bit. But will just be using the T8's from my old tank for the time being.

The timber i am using is all 4" x 4" untreated. I know it may be a little over kill on the structure of the frame, but I always prefer to edge on the side of caution.

Now, you attentive people may of noticed that the stand is actually wider than the what the tank is, 5" wider actually. The reason why it is like this is to allow a gap of 12" at the end to be able to slide the sump tank inside the frame from the end. Some one did say that to build the sump inside the frame as I am building it. Yes, that may be good, but, what happens if for reason it shatters...How you going to get another sump in that’s the same size? So, that is why the stand in wider than the tank.

To compensate for this, I am adding 4 extra supports around the top frame of the tank, in 4" x 4" again which will have large bolts going through them which clamp these to the outside frame. That bit will be come more apparent as this beast gets built and you will see from the photos later.

So, so far today, I have made up the basic frame installed the base floor of the stand. The base floor will be having a lip installed all around the edge which will be 2" tall and completely sealed, so, any overflow or water splashed from the sump will not seep out from the stand but be just contained inside.

Next part of the stand to be built will be installing the extra tank supports on the top frame, fitting angle brackets on all joints for extra strength, fitting the top which the stand will sit on to, and to install the mini flood barrier around the inside of the bottom and then seal the entire bottom..

That’s it for day one...its now time for a few well deserved beers I think...

Any feedback or constructive criticism is always welcome

Right then...death by picture for you now..

Niko

The-Wood.gif Screws.gif Stand-Dimentions.gif The-Sump.gif At-the-end.gif Down-the-length.gif From-Above.gif Front.gif Height-of-stand.gif

yothereyo

just fishing
Nov 18, 2006
UK, England, Hampshire
It looks really good mate. :)
I waiting for my one to be built still :sad: .

i'll have some picture when its done, as soon as i woked out how to post them. :pc:

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hello there people..

Just a quick little update for anybody who is following this..

Installed the 2.5" spill barrier all around the inside bottom of the base, sealed with silicon. When that has dried, the entire bottom will be painted in a UPVA glue paint to completely seal the bottom. So, any splashes or spills will get held inside the bottom rather than soaking into the wood or seeping through on to the carpet underneath the stand..Plus, it should also help towards the flood proofing for the sump..

Next job is to cut the wood that is going to be the front and 2 sides, cut out the openings for the two doors, stain it and fix in position..Am going to be using 18mm MDF for the casing of the frame, gives me plenty of thickness to playwith and should keep it sturdy..

Bye for now

Niko

Spill Barrier.JPG Spill Barrier Close Up.JPG

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
OK, got the top fitted now...

All the top has also now been bonded with UPVA glue incase any water seeps gets through to it from splashing or maintenance work..

Used the same glue to seal the previously installed spill barrier round the bottom...

Aint got a digi camera here now, my dad had it back..bummer...How-ever, this week i shall be building the display tank..Its 10mm glass..Judging by the weight of the panels, its gonna be a heavy tank...

Niko

18mm Top fitted.jpg

joebcarr

marine newbie
Dec 29, 2006
cleveland, NY
looks great, pretty beefy lookin. one comment. when you seal the bottom make sure you do it well. i use that particle board all the time... and it loves water. BTW...does that paint stick to silicone??

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hey there Joebcarr...

Am giving the bottom of it loads of coats in the glue, slappin it on quite thick aswell..Should be fine i hope..

I does cover silicon, as long as you dont water it down..Ideally it is supposed to be watered down to two parts glue with one part water, but i want totall glue enclosure on the bottom and top..

Beefy aint the word..I have been building it upstairs in the spare bedroom, but it was time to move it downstairs before anymore woodwork was done cus of the weight...It took 4 of us to get it down, weights a ruddy ton mate, i can tell ya...

Gonna give it two more coats, then i shall be cutting and fitting the front and sides...Not really had the time to do a great lot to it...Quite busy...

Niko

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hello there people..

Just thought i would post a quick update as to a little progress..

Today, i "Finally" got around to getting the front and sides sorted out on the stand..

Used 18mm MDF board for the casing as its a great wood to work with and stains evenly aswell...

So, front and two sides mounted, aperatured cut out and doors now cut..

The side on the right, looking from the front is the only one that is not glued and screwed, just got a few screws in it as this is my extra access panel that can be easily removed in case of an emergency. Just used quick screws on it..Two turns by hand and its off...great invention...Am going to be mounting the doors last off all as i want to get the hood build next and make a start on the plumbing work. Will order all the plumbing about middle of next week..

Enjoy..

Niko

IMG002.JPG IMG005.JPG

Reactions: james tuggle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store