100 gallon tank = how much sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

steeltown

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Virginia
Visit site
my loaches love the sand, the pool sand i used came in a natural color but white sand sounds like it would look really nice.

plus, i love the ease of my water changes now compared to when i had gravel.

hope you like yours as much as i like mine:)

Ace26

AC Members
Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't use white sand, I did the first time and using natural brown now(between med to dark brown) at first it was beautiful but after a couple of weeks (with weekly vacuming and water changes) dirt sets in and it was ugly, I had the brown sand for a while now and still looks beautiful..

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
well it depends on your conditions too. It would be bad to use white sand in a planted tank or any tank with High Phosphates. Naturally algae will plague it and cover white areas under the sand. But in a cichlid tank algae has never been a prob for me. Same for waste cleaning. More you clean less gunk that will build up in the sand.

Ace26

AC Members
Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
plants actually are big help when using sand, specially silica sands, the plants absorbs the nutrients in the water and help prevents algae outbreak (specially brown algae, diatoms)

kdblove_99

AC Members
May 19, 2003
Visit site
Thanks guys we ended up going to my local pool store and got two 50lb bags this looks to be plenty and was not that hard to clean. Going to give it to her dad for fathers day and all the filtration and heater he will be stoked

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store