angelfish laid eggs on heater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
This is all in my 55gal

So I have a bubble wand. And the heater is over it. And I have three fairly big angelfish. I think the angels like the bubble wand to fan eggs they laid but they seem to also fan the eggs themselves,

The eggs were laid on the heater and mom and dad protect that heater like crazy. I feed them some frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp and every night but tonight they didnt care. They were protecting that heater.

They have pretty much quaretined themselved to about 25% of the tank and dont let any other fish go near it.

Usually with the three angel fish the female and male get along good and they have always just kept the third angel fish at bay with really not much fighting -- just like "chase away" or "get out of here" and the third angel would be like "whatever" and swim away.....

but not with these eggs there..... I have never seen such protective parents over these eggs. they really wont let ANY fish in there territory and they didnt use to be like that. They swim there staring at the heater and eggs. isint that liek watching grass grow? anyway.....

Anyway i found all this really neat. I dont really want a bunch of new angel fish but I would really like a couple of fry to live and raise them. I think its really neat that this happened.

How long wil it take for the eggs to hatch and what can I do to save a few of them from being eaten So i can have for myself. I'll go out and buy a seprate bigger tank for the fry if I have to I just want to know what to do. I read on the internet that it would 3-5 days to hatch and a few days before they are free swimming. Is that right? Suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Paul

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yep you are pretty much reading correctly. They should be free swimming about day 6/7.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
clean water and proper food are the most important things. look into brine shrimp cultures/other live microfoods or even those brine shrimp eggs in a jar.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
yup 6-7 days and you should get free swimmers..if the heater doesn't cook the eggs.

PopPopsfish

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
PA
We use large specimen containers(fish scoops) to hatch out eggs we have taken away from the parents. You can gently scrape a few eggs from the heater and place them into the container, place the container on the inside of your tank add an air stone and some Maroxy do daily 100% WC on fry container and in 6-7 days you should have free swimmers. Don't feed until they have eaten all their egg sacks,we start all our fry on freshly hatched BBS or if too small depending on the breed we use a product called fry starter which is a high protein dust like food. Soak it in water then add to container, be sure to remove any un eaten food 20-30 min. after feeding. We also use a Turkey baster to remove the fry when doing WC's. I will send you some fry starter to get you started if you like. Just PM me with your address and I will send you some in the mail.

Good Luck, it is cool to watch them grow .

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
We use large specimen containers(fish scoops) to hatch out eggs we have taken away from the parents. You can gently scrape a few eggs from the heater and place them into the container, place the container on the inside of your tank add an air stone and some Maroxy do daily 100% WC on fry container and in 6-7 days you should have free swimmers. Don't feed until they have eaten all their egg sacks,we start all our fry on freshly hatched BBS or if too small depending on the breed we use a product called fry starter which is a high protein dust like food. Soak it in water then add to container, be sure to remove any un eaten food 20-30 min. after feeding. We also use a Turkey baster to remove the fry when doing WC's. I will send you some fry starter to get you started if you like. Just PM me with your address and I will send you some in the mail.

Good Luck, it is cool to watch them grow .
Wow thanx for the info pop. I hope the eggs last they do seem to be eating them. About 25% of them are gone from last night.

Why are they so protective of the eggs yet eat them. hmmm seems strange.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Wow thanx for the info pop. I hope the eggs last they do seem to be eating them. About 25% of them are gone from last night.

Why are they so protective of the eggs yet eat them. hmmm seems
strange.
They will eat the bad ones, it usually takes a few tries to from them to get it right.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually angels will eat the eggs if they feel threatened.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store