lighting for a 36" aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I have a 40G aquarium that measures 36" long by 15" wide. I'm looking for an inexpensive hood/light system for it and notice that there does'nt seem to be much selection out there for this size tank.
I'm setting up the tank as a S. American biotype and only need enough lighting to support low light plants such as java fern.
I've seen Progresso hoods for around 35 bucks but it appears they only have one 24" bulb. Probably not enough to support even low light plants. Any suggestions?

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
You could do a glass top with some t-5 lighting or even some small compact florescent lighting. I have two CF light fixtures on top of my smallish 16 gallon that is actually made for a ten gallon tank.

Marinemom

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I'm not sure what you mean by going with T5 lighting. Is this a DYI deal where I go to Home Improvement Center and find a 36 inch T5 flourescent fixture and just lie it over the glass cover?

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
They have t-5 lighting fixtures that are made for aquariums. They are usually sold at aquarium shops. I lay mine on top of the glass tops but you can buy legs for them that will lift them slightly off off the glass top. A lot of people use them for planted tanks. I have them on four of my planted aquariums. They do not run hot like some other lighting can so that is a plus too.

Marinemom

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
That is what I have and they are quite bright which is great for a planted aquarium.

Marinemom

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
How much do you want to pay?
I have a 192watt compact florecent fixture 36" for $75

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
$75 is a great price for that much wattage. What brand is that? But I am looking for a more modest output. I found a 36" Aqualight fixture with two 21 watt T5 bulbs for 50 bucks. Sounds lilke it might serve my low light needs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store