Adding fronts to a established african cic tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
I have a 48 gallon show that is currently housing about 18 to 21 africans just can't get a good count. But I found a guy that has 6 2 inch fronts and is wanting to sell them to me for 40 bucks. Yes all of them. So I am wondering if this would work for now until we move in next 2 months or so where at the new house they will have there own tank to themselves. The tank now has 2 AC70s and plenty of rock work and such. Please feel free to comment send ideas email or PM does not matter.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Eh depends on the type of africans. If they are mbuna then I would say no. They are much more aggressive and active than fronts and can stress them to death.
What are your plans for the fronts once you move? They will need a 6' tank eventually.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What size would the new tank be? Which species do you currently have?

I think it's rather risky introducing juvenile fronts to an established malawi (I'm assuming) tank. They get large but aren't the toughest fish.

In the meantime maybe you could setup a large rubbermaid tub as a temp tank for them. That's a heck of a deal and I'd hate to miss it if he has to sell now.

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
It would at least be a 125 gallon and with what's in the tank now is a asortment mbunas,kenyi,peacocks,socfili,johanna,yellow labs, acies,zebra hybrids, 1 rainbow shark, and a couple of red jewels

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
They can't go into that tank. As blue and pappy said, they are not the toughest fish. They could live in a tote, but it all depends on size. Tangs are not the fastest growing fish, so if you can get a 30+ gal storage tub, that would probably be ok for a couple of months.

Good luck with this. It is a very nice deal btw.

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask, where was the picture in your avatar taken?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I wouldn't...and 18-21 fish is quite a load for a 46 gallon tank given the temperaments of some of those fish. Filtration should be adequate but some of those species are going to get big and angry.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree, the current stocking is a litte iffy to begin with...fronts wouldn't do well in that tank.

They would be fine for a few months in a large tote. I'd probably go with something over 30 gallons to be safe as Aj suggested.

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
Well as far as filtration its looking right at 13xx the tank size and with the temperments its pretty well managed the only one I have to deal with is my male peacock witch thinks he runs something but a few of the others have changed that over time

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
Its is very assorted in all ways but there are more females than males so the attitude is well rounded. I just have to have plenty of hiding and rock work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store